DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Tailgate fails to latch when cold (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=127858)

CrazyCanuck 12-09-2012 01:15 PM

Tailgate fails to latch when cold

Looking for help from the rest of you up here in the great white north. I'm having an issue with my '12 RAM. As the temperature drops, I have more and more trouble getting the tailgate to latch.

It generally starts to happen around -15C, the tailgate often needs to be slammed about 5 times before it will latch. This morning around -28C it would not latch at all.

I don't think this is unique to the G4's, as my '97 Ram had similar issues and so did my '05 Dakota, although not to the same extent.

Anybody else have this problem, if so did you manage to solve it?

Thanks,

Unfairkickazz93 12-09-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck (Post 956665)
Looking for help from the rest of you up here in the great white north. I'm having an issue with my '12 RAM. As the temperature drops, I have more and more trouble getting the tailgate to latch.

It generally starts to happen around -15C, the tailgate often needs to be slammed about 5 times before it will latch. This morning around -28C it would not latch at all.

I don't think this is unique to the G4's, as my '97 Ram had similar issues and so did my '05 Dakota, although not to the same extent.

Anybody else have this problem, if so did you manage to solve it?

Thanks,

Yep, I have been having this problem for the past month or so. We had a -30--40F spell for a week and a half so it wouldn't close for almost 2 weeks. I brought it to the dealership for something unrelated and they "thawed out" the tailgate and closed it. They told me that there was nothing they could do, not even grease would help.

BTW when it get that cold, does your transmission have different shift points?

ExpensiveToys 12-09-2012 03:27 PM

While I haven't had trouble with the tailgate, in the past have had trouble with door latches and once a problem with the hood. As near as I can tell lube on the latches was either freezing or increasing in viscocity to the point the lube was actually causing latches to stick.

You might need to clean up the tailgate latches and give them a good lubrication with a good low temp rated lithium grease. Its sort of become a yearly ritual on my rigs that before the winter hits I make sure door latches, hood latch, and tailgate latches are clean of debris and lubed up.

Wizza 12-09-2012 06:04 PM

Agreed on the lithium grease....

kkreit01 12-18-2012 03:55 PM

WD40 to clean them up, then lithium grease. My '95 Dakota used to do this when new, and when we lived in WI. The dealer sprayed something in there -- that cured it.

GTyankee 12-18-2012 04:33 PM

you could try

FOOD GRADE SILICONE or FOOD GRADE MINERAL OIL
--------------------------------------------------------------
or

3M 08897 Silicone Lubricant (Dry Type) - 8.5 oz.
"High quality silicone lubricant which eliminates rubber squeaks, prevents sticking and seals out moisture"
This product contains no petroleum oils to stain fabrics and will not freeze at -28 degrees F nor degrade at +350 degrees F

Most Lithium grease is only good to -5 F

Dragonmaster13 12-20-2012 03:13 PM

You can also pull the cover plate off the inside of the tailgate and stretch the springs inside to put more latching force on the mechanisms that grab the posts either side. It's a major PITA but it seems to work on most trucks. As noted above my first option would be to wd40 (water displacement) the mechanism and then lithium grease