DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=213)
-   -   Swapping gas tanks!! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=127947)

inkram 12-10-2012 06:16 PM

Swapping gas tanks!!

My problem is, I'm taking my stock gas tank out of my 95' ram 1500 and putting in a poly tank from a 88' jeep wrangler. My truck is fuel injected, the wrangler is not!
That's where my problem lies, I need to get an external fuel pump and I guess a regulator.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to go about doing yhis swap? What type of fuel pump and regulator would work for this application?

Thank you

GTyankee 12-10-2012 07:09 PM

I used to use an external AIRTEX electric fuel pump on my 1971 440 4bbl Dodge Polara without fuel injection
it was a good pump, i also used their regulator

inkram 12-10-2012 08:27 PM

cool, I'll look them up.
Thanks

hunter2012 12-12-2012 12:26 AM

Oh hell, I'll bite.

WHY?

inkram 12-12-2012 05:15 PM

Here is my reason. I was on the beach and blew a rear brake line, to change it I had to drop my gas tank. When I under the truck looking at the tank, I noticed how exposed it was. (I'm setting the truck up for rock crawling in the spring). So I took the spare tire out and I want to mount a smaller tank in it's place, so it's more protected and out of the way. I'll build a tire mount in the bed later before I go wheeling. The early jeep tanks fit nice in that spot, the only problem is the jeep tank that I have is not from a fuel injected jeep, there is no fuel pump in it. Since my truck is fuel injected, I need to find an external fuel pump and regulator system that will run a ram 1500, with a 318 motor. I was going to go with a fuel cell but didn't want to spend the money.

namccanna 12-29-2012 09:34 AM

You said the Jeep tank is Poly.....why not just cut and mold a place into it for your existing fuel pump? Find a nice flat spot on the poly tank, cut an appropriate hole and drop your fuel pump in it (that is IF this poly tank is similar in depth as your existing tank). I'd use some good gasket maker that resists gas and other fluids to seal the pump in the tank along with a few self tappers.

I had a 80's something Ford Ranger years ago. The gas tank in it had rotted out a nice hole on the very top of the tank. I found it the first time I filled the truck up and went to leave the gas station and had Niagra Falls under my truck. When I pulled the fuel pump out of the tank, the clips that hold it in crumbled in my fingers. I patched the hole with fiberglass resin and matting and then put the pump back in its hole using the above mentioned method. Worked great! Drove the truck to the scrap yard after breaking the frame......yeah, we beat on 'er pretty good! It was cheap ($150) and fun....what can I say!?:LOL: