DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Cam shaft (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=127996)

jakem49 12-10-2012 09:25 PM

Cam shaft

I'm getting my engine rebuilt in the near future and want some cam lope and more power what would y'all recommend?

Dukeboy 12-10-2012 10:15 PM

I wouldn't install anything that will kill low end power. Remember, the 5.9 is only an 8.7:1 motor. Any "lopey "cam will kill what little cylinder pressure it has.

I'd look into a roller(I assume yours is a roller engine), cam from Edelbrock for towing/RV set ups. We have a Ram 1500 5.9, with a single plane intake and Lopey cam at the shop right now. It's a DOG. Even with a blower. HUGE tires and no torque.

HemiLonestar 12-10-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakem49 (Post 957708)
I'm getting my engine rebuilt in the near future and want some cam lope and more power what would y'all recommend?

I'm figuring you are a bit inexperienced, so I am going to ask this question. Do you want cam lope, or do you want power? Lumpy cams that create alot of lope have alot of overlap and duration. This is for high rpm race cars, lightweight and usually with steep gears and if an auto a really high stall converter.

If it's getting rebuilt, put better pistons in to raise your compression some, between 9:1 to 10:1. What gears do you have? 3.55's do not make for acceleration (your truck probably weighs in the neighborhood of 4600-4800lbs). If I were building a stock displacement 360 for your truck, I would put in the better pistons, arrange for matched stall torque converter to go with the cam and gears. 3.92's would help, 4.10's or 4.56's would be better. Hughes Engines is one of the best places to talk to about cam selection. You need to match it with the gears and converter you intend to use. Since you are rebuilding the engine, have you had the trans looked at? It stands to reason if you have a fresh engine making more power, you will break your however-many-miles-it-has-transmission. Think of everything working together as a 'system', not just the engine making all the power.

98sst 12-13-2012 02:14 PM

Something to remember is that you will improve one area and sacrifice another. For example a whiplash cam will be very torque-plenty. You will drop off in horsepower however. On the opposite end of the spectrum, some cams make good power and lose torque. In order to help counter this you'll need a proper tune and look into maybe a new intake manifold, throttle body, valve springs, headers.

Supplying mods with a camshaft are pretty much necessary.

jakem49 12-13-2012 06:31 PM

preciate it guys yeah im a lil inexperienced haha but it wontbe rebuilt for a while thanks for the input!

Dukeboy 12-14-2012 07:23 AM

Yeah, nothing sucks any worse than having a truck that just sounds like it runs well, then being asked to prove it, only to be outperformed.

dodgeman2289 12-17-2012 12:36 AM

check this vid out of my bolt on and cammed/heads ram lunati custom grind cam LET ME TELL YOU THE POWER OF THIS BEAST IS AMAZING
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvepuUDyi24

nicraage 01-07-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar (Post 957784)
I'm figuring you are a bit inexperienced, so I am going to ask this question. Do you want cam lope, or do you want power? Lumpy cams that create alot of lope have alot of overlap and duration. This is for high rpm race cars, lightweight and usually with steep gears and if an auto a really high stall converter.

If it's getting rebuilt, put better pistons in to raise your compression some, between 9:1 to 10:1. What gears do you have? 3.55's do not make for acceleration (your truck probably weighs in the neighborhood of 4600-4800lbs). If I were building a stock displacement 360 for your truck, I would put in the better pistons, arrange for matched stall torque converter to go with the cam and gears. 3.92's would help, 4.10's or 4.56's would be better. Hughes Engines is one of the best places to talk to about cam selection. You need to match it with the gears and converter you intend to use. Since you are rebuilding the engine, have you had the trans looked at? It stands to reason if you have a fresh engine making more power, you will break your however-many-miles-it-has-transmission. Think of everything working together as a 'system', not just the engine making all the power.

Hemilonestar, could I trouble to you give me advice in my post over in the 5.2 section. It's about cams/heads/piston combo. TIA

ram150059 01-07-2013 09:23 PM

Im looking to put a towing/rv cam in my ram 1500 with the 5.9. i was thinking of getting the msd 6-a, doing the kegger mod, rockers, headers to a straight exhaust side exit, and doing an sct chip. its stock suspension for now and im not a fan of lifting. has a fresh tranny in it so now im looking to get a little more power and that perfect rumble. Any input on this would be much appreciated. Im wondering what lift/ duration to go with as well as the information on the 1.7 rockers.

98sst 01-12-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram150059 (Post 978206)
Im looking to put a towing/rv cam in my ram 1500 with the 5.9. i was thinking of getting the msd 6-a, doing the kegger mod, rockers, headers to a straight exhaust side exit, and doing an sct chip. its stock suspension for now and im not a fan of lifting. has a fresh tranny in it so now im looking to get a little more power and that perfect rumble. Any input on this would be much appreciated. Im wondering what lift/ duration to go with as well as the information on the 1.7 rockers.

Most cams actually are not compatable with 1.7 rockers, best to keep 1.6. It's either or. A good cam for low end is Hughes 0814 cam and can be done with stock heads.