DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   (Verizon) iPhone5 compatibility? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=128026)

PeterGriffin 12-11-2012 11:26 AM

(Verizon) iPhone5 compatibility?

I'm hoping the resident UCONNECT experts, xsdbs and mrJeepR44 might be able to help, in addition to anyone else who might have some first hand experience...

My '11 Sport has a build date of 10/10, an RHB head unit with software number 43.01.10. I currently have a Droid 3 and Verizon is my carrier. I have intermittent functional issues with my phone auto-pairing when I start the truck, sometimes with the remote start, sometimes without. It will also inexplicably drop calls or unpair itself for no apparent reason. I listen to Pandora almost exclusively (except on very short trips) and it likewise works when it shouldn't (no indicator that the phone/Bluetooth is active, but plays anyway...?) or will similarly just unpair itself when it's been playing Pandora for a while. (When I am streaming Pandora there is no appreciable loss in audio quality though.) It can be exceptionally aggravating...

I'm considering going with an iPhone 5. The most recent compatibility list I could find from Dodge/Ram/UCONNECT was '09, so that's not going to help. I held off on having the radio updated until I could determine whether or not "upgrading" to an iPhone 5 is going to cause me even more problems.

Anyone have any ideas? Hypotheticals aren't going to much consolation if I go through the trouble of upgrading my phone and it ends up being a useless brick that can't stream Pandora (although I'm not opposed to using the input jack) or has similar functional issues to what I'm experiencing now. It's somewhat "broke" and I'd like to "fix" it, and not take a step backwards in the process...

On a side note, I checked out a '13 Sport when I was at the dealer the other day and really liked it, but that's not an option right now considering I just bought the truck a couple of months ago, but I was very impressed with the apparent upgrades, particularly as far as the UCONNECT system were concerned...

Thanks in advance for the replies!!

Emorris69 12-11-2012 11:34 AM

I have an 11 and a Iphone 5 no problems streaming the audio and phone calls I have never had a problem. The girlfriend has one too and there havent been any issues.

Just my rear world expirenceses

PeterGriffin 12-11-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emorris69 (Post 958056)
I have an 11 and a iPhone 5 no problems streaming the audio and phone calls I have never had a problem. The girlfriend has one too and there haven't been any issues.

Just my rear world experiences

Thanks! That's some solid intel. I don't know why it would matter (but apparently it does) but whose your carrier and do you know what software number you're running (10 or 30), it's on that hoo-hah thing-a-ma-bob in your glovebox...?

Grubrunner 12-11-2012 01:03 PM

My wife's iPhone 5 works perfectly in my truck.

PeterGriffin 12-11-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grubrunner (Post 958104)
My wife's iPhone 5 works perfectly in my truck.

Thanks! Feeling a lil more comfortable about pulling the trigger on the new phone and no longer being an "outsider" (as one of my Apple automaton/friends calls me!)...

xsdbs 12-11-2012 07:13 PM

@ PeterGriffin,

No Guru here but I think that I can help.
The first thing that you will want to do if you haven't already is to apply the Uconnect SW updatee for the 2011 vehicles with the "RES, REQ, RBZ & RHB" radios.
You can find my thread on this forum at the below link along with instructions. (you'll want the High Speed file)
http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?...=2011+uconnect

I would do this first, then try out your current phone. You'll find that there is a big difference in how hte phone now works.
Then go ahead and purchase the IPhone5, I have borrowed the phone from a co worker and tested it and It works well.
SIRI is not a supported feature for Uconnect due the way an incoming call is handled while in SIRI, visual voice mail or voice memos. The call gets sent to your voicemail with no way to answer it.

Once you have done that update, then there is another one for the 2011 vehicle with the same radios mentioned above. This one is for the Bluetooth streaming audio sound quality. It can be found at the link below: (see post #23)

http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?...g+audio&page=3

11RamSport35 12-12-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsdbs (Post 958388)
@ PeterGriffin,

No Guru here but I think that I can help.
The first thing that you will want to do if you haven't already is to apply the Uconnect SW updatee for the 2011 vehicles with the "RES, REQ, RBZ & RHB" radios.
You can find my thread on this forum at the below link along with instructions. (you'll want the High Speed file)
http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?...=2011+uconnect

I would do this first, then try out your current phone. You'll find that there is a big difference in how hte phone now works.
Then go ahead and purchase the IPhone5, I have borrowed the phone from a co worker and tested it and It works well.
SIRI is not a supported feature for Uconnect due the way an incoming call is handled while in SIRI, visual voice mail or voice memos. The call gets sent to your voicemail with no way to answer it.

Once you have done that update, then there is another one for the 2011 vehicle with the same radios mentioned above. This one is for the Bluetooth streaming audio sound quality. It can be found at the link below: (see post #23)

http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?...g+audio&page=3

I just did the first updat on my 11 Ram Sport everything worked great!! I am going to try the next one for bluetooth now! Thanks xsdbs

xsdbs 12-12-2012 11:59 AM

That's great, Glad to be of assistance to you. I'm sure that you'll be just as pleased with the 2nd update.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11RamSport35 (Post 958754)
I just did the first updat on my 11 Ram Sport everything worked great!! I am going to try the next one for bluetooth now! Thanks xsdbs

PeterGriffin 12-12-2012 09:09 PM

Thanks xsdbs! My truck took both updates no problem and in the brief amount of time I got to futz around with it afterwards everything seemed Kool & The Gang. Looking forward to a longer road test...

BMax94 12-13-2012 12:37 PM

xsdbs,

I have an RHB in a 2011. Bluetooth worked okay with my iPhone 5...it would always take several minutes to connect after I started driving, but it worked. I installed the updates you mentioned above. Bluetooth streaming audio is a huge improvement. However, my phone only connected after pairing the first time and would not after that. I played around with it a little and found that it will connect immediately if I unplug my iPod, which lives in the glovebox, but it won't connect if I leave the iPod plugged in. Any ideas about what's going on or how I might fix it? Thanks in advance.