Replacing the driver-side mirror?
How do I replace and / or take apart the driver-side rear-view mirror?
A couple of weeks ago I accidently cracked it against a pillar in a car park :(
It's working fine, but one of the turn-signal leds (?) and some of the "follow me home" leds have stoped working.
Where can I order a new one, or perhaps just parts of it (Propably need the outer plastic shell and perhaps the leds, everything else is ok!)
Here are the steps to do so:
1. Remove the bolt cover on the door.
It will just pull off.Attachment 32125
2. Remove the plastic screws from the door panelAttachment 32127Use a screw driver but use your finger nail under the screw to help it come out. Then remove the plastic insert from the panel - 8, two on the bottom and 3 on each side.
2a. Lift the little "door" at the open door release handle, remove the large phillips screw.Attachment 32126
2b. Lift the inset panel (with the little door you opened) from the forward portion of the handle area and gently pry up and forward while "opening" the door release handle and remove it.
3. Lift the panel from the door enough to clear the lock buttonAttachment 32128 - BE CAREFUL AS THE WIRES ARE ALL THAT HOLDS THE DOOR PANEL TO THE DOOR AT THIS POINT!Attachment 32129
4. Support the panel - either with the door lock button or some method to ease the stress on the wires, then unplug the mirror wire plug.Attachment 32130 Just follow it down from the mirror.Attachment 32131 Also cut the tape holding the wire to the door.Attachment 32132. When you put the new mirror back on, use zip ties to attach the wire to the plastic stress relief, it is easier then wrapping with tape.
5. Use a 10 mm socket, remove the nuts holding the mirror to the door -Attachment 32133 BE CAREFUL, HAVE THE WINDOW DOWN SO YOU SUPPORT THE MIRROR WHEN THE LAST NUT IS REMOVED.Attachment 32134
6. Take the mirror out from the door and set it aside. There is a spring clip that may come out with the mirror, make sure you put it back into the slot on the door. Attachment 32135 Now all you have to do is reverse these steps and install the new mirror.Attachment 32136
Pretty easy to do if you follow those steps. Just try the new mirror before you button it all up to be sure it works.
Thanxs! Will have a look at it some day :D
My God I love this forum! Now THAT'S an answer!!
I've got a '12 1500 which came with the tow mirrors (flip up kind, power, heated, turn signal, puddle light).
I'd like to swap for Black Plastic Non-Tow mirrors (in excelent condition) with the same features - power, heated, turn signal, puddle/courtesy light.
I'm in Lemoore, CA (near Fresno)
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger