DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Thinking out loud....discuss (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=128266)

UNBROKEN 12-14-2012 11:05 PM

Thinking out loud....discuss

I'm bouncing around other ideas for my motor then the heads/cam/Magnuson idea.
Started thinking about what's killing these transmissions too. I'm betting that these high stall converters are a big part of the problem...hitting right in the heart of the torque peak on a weak trans is just asking for trouble. Adding a positive displacement blower to that would make it even worse.
So....since I'm not building a drag truck and don't really need that hard hit down low...why not move the torque peak out as well as bring in the power a little slower?

I'm thinking stock heads and cam (for now, just to see how it works), a 6.1 intake manifold and an intercooled Procharger kit. Maybe ditching the P1SC and moving up a hair to the D1SC. The centrifigul won't hit as hard as the Magnuson and the 6.1 intake will be more of a mid-top end performer. Keep the stock 2600 stall but get a better converter anyway. The 4:10 gears will still give it plenty of go off the line but it'll really shine in the midrange which is honestly where we spend most of our time driving anyway.

Discuss...

bighemi04 12-15-2012 12:12 AM

I dont know much about these topics, but it does sound like you are on to something with the lower stall. That is a lot of power hitting all at once, so any way to alleviate that could only do good, I think. Don't wind a stall up so high, its not like the power won't be there when you need it.

mgh 12-15-2012 09:24 AM

The biggest problem with the trans is the stock frictions and the amount of tolerance they build into the trans from the factory. I have built a few of these 545s and the acceptable tolerance for clutches is way too loose for the trans to last with any power adder. Once the 545 is built with good clutches, tight tolerances and custom trans tuning, they can handle the power.

UNBROKEN 12-15-2012 09:43 AM

What would you pinpoint as "the power"?
Virtually everyone at or around 500 HP has smoked at least one trans.
The gentleman in Arizona has been through several and so has pretty much everyone else I've been able to find to read about.
If you can build one that'll last I'd have no problem buying a trans from you. I'd like more details though.
Since you do build them what are your thoughts on my theory in the first post to make one last longer?
We've been building and tuning diesels to move the torque peak out for years to be easier on the transmissions, seems like it would work just fine on these things too. I haven't seen the internals on one of these yet...is there room for more frictions and steels? Are they flat enough? On the old 5R110's when the 6.0's first came out people had to machine those flat to hold any power...is that something we need to look at with these things too?

mgh 12-15-2012 10:11 AM

I built my twin turbo setup 2 years ago and have gone through 4 or 5 trans builds before I came up with the setup that I have now. Every time that I rebuilt my trans it was always the OD clutches that were destroyed. There is some room to have the backing plates machined so that you can get more clutches in OD and UD. I also modify the valve body and the pump to increase the line pressure. All of this is useless if you do not modify the trans tuning to run higher shift pressures and hold pressures.

hemiexp04 12-15-2012 07:11 PM

Have you looked into one of the trans moes sells i think? I cant remember who builds them. Orrrrr do a T56 swap:smileup: haha. Would be bad ass and strong but alot of work. I was thinking when i get the money one day do a complete 6.4 swap and maybe a t56. You can get a 6.4 around 6K and who knows abt the trans swap. I would personally rather spend the 6-7 k on a 6.4 and do bolt ons than spend the same money buying a procharger but just throwing cool ideas out there lol

CHVYKLR 12-15-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNBROKEN (Post 960581)
I'm bouncing around other ideas for my motor then the heads/cam/Magnuson idea.
Started thinking about what's killing these transmissions too. I'm betting that these high stall converters are a big part of the problem...hitting right in the heart of the torque peak on a weak trans is just asking for trouble. Adding a positive displacement blower to that would make it even worse.
So....since I'm not building a drag truck and don't really need that hard hit down low...why not move the torque peak out as well as bring in the power a little slower?

I'm thinking stock heads and cam (for now, just to see how it works), a 6.1 intake manifold and an intercooled Procharger kit. Maybe ditching the P1SC and moving up a hair to the D1SC. The centrifigul won't hit as hard as the Magnuson and the 6.1 intake will be more of a mid-top end performer. Keep the stock 2600 stall but get a better converter anyway. The 4:10 gears will still give it plenty of go off the line but it'll really shine in the midrange which is honestly where we spend most of our time driving anyway.

Discuss...

I like the D1SC/6.1 intake idea with a MGH transmission. Nice linear power delivery that'll build as high as you wanna run the rpms. The P1SC would just hold you back once you want to turn it up some.

UNBROKEN 12-15-2012 11:12 PM

The good thing is they're dimensionally the same....if you outgrow the P, move to the D, if you outgrow that the F will drop in.

jlibert 12-17-2012 11:05 AM

I would go with the procharger for all of the reasons you mentioned.

Otherwise, a turbo would be the ultimate solution.

CHVYKLR 12-18-2012 08:31 PM

I'd start with the D1. The P1 is already spinning pretty good to make 9 psi or so on these motors. I don't remember the RPMs exactly but I remember doing the math and looking at the P1SC blower map and in stock form it didn't leave much room to grow.