DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   2003 cummins wont start. any suggestions? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=128410)

farmall 12-16-2012 09:58 PM

2003 cummins wont start. any suggestions?

Hello all. My truck has been a little hard to start recently but only at times. I was thinking it might have been more related to the colder weather but I don't think that is the case now. Today, I went out to start it and it didn't start after about 10 seconds of spinning. I waited a few seconds and tried again. I think it started after 4 attempts. I just moved it in the driveway, only running for about a minute. I went to hook up a trailer this evening and it would not start. While waiting between attmpts, I could hear a pump running somewhere around the fuel filter. It seems to run a little longer than I expect but cuts off after about 10 seconds or so. I rolled it in the gargage where there was a fire going and after about 4 hours in 70 degree heat, it still will not start. It turns over but acts like it is not getting any fuel. Just in case you wanted to ask, it does have 3/4 tank. I just filled it yesterday. I really need some help because, right now, my dads powerstroke is hooked to my work trailer and I have to drive it until I get mine fixed. HELP!

jlibert 12-17-2012 12:11 PM

It could be a number of different things. If you have any aftermarket electronics installed, check the connections or remove them. You could have a failing lift pump (originally installed on the back of the fuel filter housing, and later retrofitted to an in-tank unit). A faulty rail pressure sensor could also keep the truck from starting. Have you changed your fuel filter?

farmall 12-19-2012 10:29 PM

there is no aftermarket stuff on it. The fuel filter has about 15000 miles on it. I am thinking it could be that pump. It seemed to run a lot longer than normal.

Thanks

skinnysfd 12-19-2012 11:16 PM

Try changing the filter first and then retry it. if that doesnt work my guess is your lift pump is bad. how many miles are on the truck? if it is the lift pump i would strongly suggest getting a FASS kit

farmall 12-20-2012 06:53 AM

215,000. What is a FASS kit? what is the advantage? where can I get one? i have never heard of that.

skinnysfd 12-20-2012 08:03 AM

I'm gonna bet its ur lift pump then and a fass kit is more or less a fuel water seperation kit and lift pump as well go to fass.com and u can look em up. What it does is mounts on your frame rail and acts as a fuel pump giving anywhere from 95 gpm up to 150 gpm depending on which kit u buy. I'll try and find some pics of my old ones. I run it on all my diesels . Another benefit of it is it will allow clean fuel to your rail so it will also help save your injectors. Most diesel shops have em also u can look at an air dog ( same thing different co.)

skinnysfd 12-20-2012 08:10 AM

fassride.com would be where u can get all ur info from em pm me and I'll tell ya where I got mine and get ya a number or check on the site there may be a couple vendors on here

skinnysfd 12-20-2012 08:19 AM

benefits to the fass is also better mpg,easier starting,and a little bit more power as well. i always ran the fass platinum as well so i only had on filter to worry about and from what i was told the bigger kits are good for 550 plus hp and for sled pulling. i love the ones we run and have been problem free. instalation only took about two hours as well .hope this helps ya. oh and another thing is they are priced about the same as ur factory lift pump as well

skinnysfd 12-20-2012 08:29 PM

www.fassride.com/
www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/fass/fuel-systems.htm
www.alligatorperformance.com › FASS Fuel Systems

heres a couple links for ya on guys i have dealt with and they are very good and knowledgeable

Sandman686 12-21-2012 01:06 PM

On my 2003 Cummins my factory lift pump went out at 85,000 miles. The truck would only run for a couple of seconds and then die. I installed a FASS lift pump with new hose for around $450.00. My truck really ran great with the new FASS pump and the added fuel pressure. Good luck with everyting!