DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=213)
-   -   Getting a 4in lift kit soon! need advice (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=128432)

Kibagami 12-17-2012 02:09 AM

Getting a 4in lift kit soon! need advice

My Truck: 2012 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab

I want to use Nitto Trail Grappler - 35X12.5R20, will be on stock rims but in the future will probably upgrade to ATX Artillery or Moto Metal 951 (maybe next year).

On Nitto web site the spec they give for those tire a 35.04in tall and 13.39in width so I'm planning to get some Hubcentric spacers just in case (Don't want some crappy spacer on Ebay made in china by some 12 year old kid). If someone know where to find good quality Hub Centric spacers and how big of a spacer i will need that would be nice. :smileup:

As for the 4in lift kit so far I looked at the Mopar (picture and info here) which has the Blistein Shock, and BDS (picture and info here), which is almost a $1000 cheaper then the mopar, had options like 2in or 3in rear Coils, 5500 series or Fox 2.0 shocks and steering stabilizer (single or dual).
Which will look better 2in or 3in Rear Coils? are the Fox 2.0 Shock as good as the Blistein? and is it recommended that I get the steering stabilizers or would it affect normal driving? How about the quality compare to the Mopar or is there others with better 4in lift kit?

I also want a lift kit that make the front and rear look about even, while I won't mind if the back is a little bit higher then the front, I'm really not a big fan of having the front higher then the back (personal preference).

Jolley 12-17-2012 02:06 PM

well as far as the spacers go i got some rough country 1.5" and they have worked out pretty well so far

and if your wondering about rubbing then you definately wont with 35s cause i have 35s on mine with a 2.5" level and i dont rub so your fine there

Rayne 12-17-2012 02:37 PM

The Mopar kit is just a rebranded Superlift kit. If you are considering the Mopar lift then dont buy it from the dealer, and just buy the Superlift kit. You'll find that the price is similar to the BDS kit.

Rug 15 12-19-2012 01:02 PM

yup mopar is expensive.. just go direct. bds does great lifts and a no hassle 100% lifetime warranty those are good too..... as far as level... i think both lifts will level it... and billsteins are adjustable if you get the right ones. and spacers? ew. no spacers. lol you might work without them. if not go with backspaced rims ive seen far to many trucks lose a whole wheel cause it snapped off (and subsequent whole front axle as it smashed into the pavement.....)

miff1102 12-20-2012 02:41 PM

Personal preference go with the BDS lift. Great company to work with and can't beat the lifetime warranty and it will make it look level in the front and back.

Kibagami 03-04-2013 08:43 PM

Ordered the kit today:

BDS 4" lift kit with Fox 2.0 shocks and 5500 Dual steering stabilizers
35x12.5R20 Nitto Trail Grappler
Motorsport Hub Centric and Wheel Centric spacers

everything should arrive in about 2 weeks, will post picture once it's install :)

MTtruckr 03-04-2013 09:49 PM

I was told by my shop the steering stabilizers were offered for my BDS kit. I do remember seeing them offered online though. I'll be watching to see how this installs for you. I can say, my 6 inch BDS handles great, I wonder how much of a difference they will make.
What rear spring size did you go with, 2 or 3"?

Rayne 03-05-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibagami (Post 1029731)
Ordered the kit today:

BDS 4" lift kit with Fox 2.0 shocks and 5500 Dual steering stabilizers
35x12.5R20 Nitto Trail Grappler
Motorsport Hub Centric and Wheel Centric spacers

everything should arrive in about 2 weeks, will post picture once it's install :)

The BDS website says that the steering stabilizers only work for the 6" kit. Did you mean that you ordered the 6" kit?

Untamed 03-05-2013 01:59 PM

Did you get 1.5" spacers? If so, you might need to grind the factory studs since they are 2" long and stick through the spacer. UNLESS.. our factory rims have the slots/spaces in the back of them for the studs to clear. My factory rims are 50 miles away and I can't check right now.

My aftermarket rims where flush in the back and needed to grind the studs down but with the 1.5" spacer I only had to take the nub ends off And not grind into the threads. So it worked out fine.

Kibagami 03-06-2013 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTtruckr (Post 1029814)
I was told by my shop the steering stabilizers were offered for my BDS kit. I do remember seeing them offered online though. I'll be watching to see how this installs for you. I can say, my 6 inch BDS handles great, I wonder how much of a difference they will make.
What rear spring size did you go with, 2 or 3"?

going for 3" inch which should make the rear a bit higher, but i like it that way.
as for the 5500 Dual steering stabilizer it was an options for the 4" lift kit, maybe they did it for the 2012 model, will have to check with the guy who order the kit for me.