DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Re-gasket the 5.9 (Pics) (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=128568)

KTM11 12-19-2012 01:30 AM

Re-gasket the 5.9 (Pics)

2 Attachment(s)
I started tearing into my truck going after a bad timing belt cover gasket. My trucks ALWAYS leaking something. It doesn't matter what it is :smiledown: I think it's about time to try and re-seal the whole thing.
Couple questions.
Is the Hughes intake plenum kit worth the $$??
If I take the heads off should I bring them into the local machine shop and have them checked out? Granted,, I dont think anythings wrong with them- I wouldn't mind them doing the valve seals though.

I'll keep you guys up to date

Pics of todays progress

bassa2000 12-19-2012 05:22 PM

Hughes

You can get a plate sold on ebay and save some money.....about that timing belt cover leak....hmmmnn....not on a Dodge Ram.
As for the heads if they are not causing you a problem I would not remove them unless they are being rebuilt or replaced with aftermarket heads.

emjohn4 12-19-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KTM11 (Post 963245)
I started tearing into my truck going after a bad timing belt cover gasket. My trucks ALWAYS leaking something. It doesn't matter what it is :smiledown: I think it's about time to try and re-seal the whole thing.
Couple questions.
Is the Hughes intake plenum kit worth the $$??
If I take the heads off should I bring them into the local machine shop and have them checked out? Granted,, I dont think anythings wrong with them- I wouldn't mind them doing the valve seals though.

I'll keep you guys up to date

Pics of todays progress

Yes. There are equivalent alternates out there as well - but make sure it's 1/4" aluminum.

I'd leave the heads and head gaskets alone, unless you are having issues with them, or want to do a valve job.

KTM11 12-20-2012 02:46 AM

Theres 175k miles on the heads so I figured when I was that deep I might as well pull them off and bring them in. The bottom of the valves appear to be slightly burnt/discolored

KTM11 12-20-2012 02:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here's a pic of what the bottom of the heads looked like. I'm not sure if those valves look like normal wear or not :4-dontknow:
What do you guys think?

Maddevill 12-20-2012 12:31 PM

Looks normal to me. The valve faces are the important part, so you need to have the heads disassembled to look at them and the seats.

HemiLonestar 12-20-2012 08:34 PM

Looks ok, but hard to tell from such a small picture. Definitely get the seats and guides checked. Seal replacement is also worth it.

KTM11 12-20-2012 09:30 PM

I brought the heads to a machine shop. I should have them back tomorrow and I'll post some pictures of the re-assembly. Also have some shorty headers in the mail, hughes plenum kit and new plugs/wires/cap from hughes.

bassa2000 12-21-2012 08:49 PM

Sounds like your making good progress, keep us in pics!
What kind of exhaust are you hooking up to the headers?

KTM11 12-22-2012 03:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The heads checked out bad. The machine shop magnafluxed them and each head had a few cracks on them. Refurbished heads set me back $500 as opposed to $250 for the reworked heads. Honestly I couldn't be happier with the machine shop. They're straight forward guys that wouldn't steer you wrong. They also sandblasted my timing belt cover, intake manifold and accessory bracket.

Just got the heads torque'd down now its time for the push rod's to go in.
??- Does it matter which way the push rod's go in? I had them nice and ordered and then got them sandblasted. The guys told me it didn't matter.
How do you set the valves? I believe you just torque the rocker arms but does the engine have to be TDC when you do it??
Thanks guys