DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   305/55r20 rubbing on stock 2011 1500? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=128754)

ArcticRam1500 12-21-2012 10:51 AM

305/55r20 rubbing on stock 2011 1500?
 
Hey Guys, i have a 2011 ram1500 sport - no leveling kit (thinking about doing it) - but i need some new tires and leaning toward the goodyear duratrac (305/55r20) - wondering if i will get any rub without a leveling kit installed (or even with it installed). also, anyone have any cons about these tires aside from them being pricey?:4-dontknow:

starquestbd22 12-22-2012 11:45 AM

From what I have read the 305/55/20 will probably rub regardless of leveled or not. That tire is barely taller than the stock 20" tire so it is nowhere near tall enough to necessitate a level, however, the issue is the width. The general rule on the 2006-up coilover equipped trucks is that anything wider than 285 may rub. It seems to be hit and miss. Some have said they couldn't run them and some have said they could run them but had rubbing at or near full lock.

I would say you have two options. The Duratrac is a good tire and if that's what you want you could go with them in a 285/65/20 (34.6x11.2x20) which will fit with no issues. If you are set on the 305/55/20 (33.2x12x20) you could go ahead and give them a try as long as you are prepared to run a 1/4" spacer if needed (and my guess is that it will be).

It really comes down to whether or not you are willing to run the spacers if needed and whether you prefer the taller or wider tire. Everyone is diferent but I personally think leveled plus the taller 285/65/20 would look badass.

FOZMAN11 12-22-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starquestbd22 (Post 965423)
From what I have read the 305/55/20 will probably rub regardless of leveled or not. That tire is barely taller than the stock 20" tire so it is nowhere near tall enough to necessitate a level, however, the issue is the width. The general rule on the 2006-up coilover equipped trucks is that anything wider than 285 may rub. It seems to be hit and miss. Some have said they couldn't run them and some have said they could run them but had rubbing at or near full lock.

I would say you have two options. The Duratrac is a good tire and if that's what you want you could go with them in a 285/65/20 (34.6x11.2x20) which will fit with no issues. If you are set on the 305/55/20 (33.2x12x20) you could go ahead and give them a try as long as you are prepared to run a 1/4" spacer if needed (and my guess is that it will be).

It really comes down to whether or not you are willing to run the spacers if needed and whether you prefer the taller or wider tire. Everyone is diferent but I personally think leveled plus the taller 285/65/20 would look badass.

First, I say thank you. I have been searching this site for a week and reading thread after thread, you have givin me what I have been searching for.

Second, if a person was buying new rims (20 x 9) and got a +12 offset (stock is +19) would you be able to run the 305/55/20 tires with a stock front end. Does the rub problem come from the rim offset or width of the tire.

Edit: Third, So a person running stock or close to stock rims could run a 285 wide tire without leveling and not rub?

Ram Nut 12-22-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starquestbd22 (Post 965423)
It really comes down to whether or not you are willing to run the spacers if needed and whether you prefer the taller or wider tire. Everyone is diferent but I personally think leveled plus the taller 285/65/20 would look badass.

Seen any pics of that tire on the stock rims? Sounds interesting.

RyanJM 12-23-2012 04:58 AM

I had 305/55r20's on the stock chrome and my 20x9 cepek torque wheels +13 and it rubber the sway bar on turn with both sets. You need a 0 or at least +6 should work. Better with a 0 or - offset. Height is not a issue at all. I now run a duratrac 285/60 on my dick cepek wheels with now issues. I could have went taller bit these were what the tire shop had to swap out the 305/55's I had for a few weeks. A 285/65 will also fit fine. Never tried my 285/60's with the stock wheels but I imagine they should clear being only 1 size wider. My friend has a 305/55 on his with no rub running a 0 offset 20x9 wheel. Hope that helps you.

ArcticRam1500 12-23-2012 10:55 AM

Thanks a lot guys, I think I will still with a 285 just to be safe. Don't want to get into spacers and dish out any extra cash these are already a pricey tire!:doh:

Duratrac does make it in a 285/65 only 285/60 unfortunately....

Ram Nut 12-23-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArcticRam1500 (Post 966228)
Thanks a lot guys, I think I will still with a 285 just to be safe. Don't want to get into spacers and dish out any extra cash thes.e are already a pricey tire!:doh:

Duratrac does make it in a 285/65 only 285/60 unfortunately....

Definitely interested to hear how you make out. I'm also looking at Duratraks on stock rims and can't decide between 305 or 285 myself.

starquestbd22 12-23-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FOZMAN11 (Post 965517)
First, I say thank you. I have been searching this site for a week and reading thread after thread, you have givin me what I have been searching for.

Second, if a person was buying new rims (20 x 9) and got a +12 offset (stock is +19) would you be able to run the 305/55/20 tires with a stock front end. Does the rub problem come from the rim offset or width of the tire.

Edit: Third, So a person running stock or close to stock rims could run a 285 wide tire without leveling and not rub?

As to your second question my answer based on everything I have read would be yes, I would think +12 offset rims would be enough to clear 305s. The reason I would think so is that I have read many, many posts about people running 305s with a 1/4" spacer and the 7mm less offset on a +12 offset rim as compared to stock equals 0.275" or a hair over a 1/4". So unless I am missing something the math says it should work. But RyanJM is saying 305/55 rubbed on +13 offset rims? 6mm equals 0.236" or just a hair under 1/4". Is that 1mm enough to make a difference, lol?

RyanJM, how bad did your +13 rims rub? Only at full lock or what?

As to your third question, yes any stock third or fourth gen Ram on stock 20" rims should be able to run a 275/65/20, 285/60/20, or 285/65/20 with no rubbing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArcticRam1500 (Post 966228)
Thanks a lot guys, I think I will still with a 285 just to be safe. Don't want to get into spacers and dish out any extra cash these are already a pricey tire!:doh:

Duratrac does make it in a 285/65 only 285/60 unfortunately....

Ahhhh, dangit you are right. I'm sorry, my mistake. To the best of my knowledge there are only two tires made in 285/65/20. One of them is the BFG T/A KO (a great tire by the way) and I thought the other was the Duratrac but it isn't. The other is the Goodyear Wrangler MTR.

So let me regroup. You could still go with one of those two tires or you could go with the 285/60/20 (33.5x11.2x20) Duratrac. Or if you value taller over wider you could go with a 275/65/20 (34x10.8x20) instead of the 285/60. There are several good tires available in 275/65 including the Duratrac. Decisions, decisions, lol.

starquestbd22 12-23-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram Nut (Post 965580)
Seen any pics of that tire on the stock rims? Sounds interesting.

I was wrong about the Duratrac being offered in 285/65/20 (see my reply above) but that size is offered in the BFG and Goodyear MTR. Just do a Google image search for "285/65/20 ram" and look to your heart's content! Or substitute any other size. There are plenty of images out there. Just read the description or posts about whatever photo you are looking at because those searches will sometimes return discussions that involve the size that you search for but an image of a truck with a different size.

Also, here is a thread with some good pics of the BFG 285/65/20....
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=63357

RyanJM 12-24-2012 07:42 PM

With the +13 they rubbed the sway bar at full lock and with the stock wheels they rubbed on hard turn close to full lock.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger