DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   U-Connect module replacement - self install or dealer? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=128809)

juicestain09 12-22-2012 06:14 AM

U-Connect module replacement - self install or dealer?

I recently bought my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab and it needs the U-Connect module replaced. I had my local Dodge dealership order the part for me, but I'm wondering if I can install it or if the dealership needs to. The part itself was expensive enough as it is, if I could get away from paying shop labour costs I'd be all for it. The reason I initially thought Dodge had to install it themselves was because the same sort of thing happened with my 2002 Pontiac Aztek and I had to get GM to install the part because they had to program it to my vehicle or something like that.

Does Dodge need to install it for me for this purpose, or can I install it myself? Looking at the replacement procedure, it's easy as pie so it would be nice if I could do it myself.

Thanks!

RamTech 12-22-2012 11:53 AM

You can do the install. I'm not sure off the top of my head if it will need to be programmed with the VIN or not. Even if it does, the dealer can do that for you regardless of who installs it.

juicestain09 12-22-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamTech (Post 965426)
You can do the install. I'm not sure off the top of my head if it will need to be programmed with the VIN or not. Even if it does, the dealer can do that for you regardless of who installs it.

Perfect. The hourly shop labour fees up here are crazy so that should save me about $300, even if they do have to program it.

So my next question then: does the same module that runs the u-connect run the overhead garage door opener buttons and the compass? I was told that by the dealer but I just want to make sure.

jmr 12-22-2012 06:39 PM

That is a different module located in the overhead console and the Homelink buttons are part of that module. The u-connect module is located on the passenger side kick panel.

GTyankee 12-22-2012 07:32 PM

You can install it yourself
the dealership may have to program it, but if it worked before, it may just be plug & play

look at the front of your radio, right lower corner next to the auxiliary plug
what are the 3 letters printed there
with the 2009 Laramie, i would guess RER 730n
but it may be something else, like RHR, RHB, RBZ, hopefully not the REN, RES

by the way, do you have the full floor console or not ?

juicestain09 12-22-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmr (Post 965831)
That is a different module located in the overhead console and the Homelink buttons are part of that module. The u-connect module is located on the passenger side kick panel.

I should've clarified myself. The compass is displayed in the cluster driver info center.
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTyankee (Post 965850)
You can install it yourself
the dealership may have to program it, but if it worked before, it may just be plug & play

look at the front of your radio, right lower corner next to the auxiliary plug
what are the 3 letters printed there
with the 2009 Laramie, i would guess RER 730n
but it may be something else, like RHR, RHB, RBZ, hopefully not the REN, RES

by the way, do you have the full floor console or not ?

I have the bucket seats, not the full floor console. I'd have to check the stereo to confirm, but I believe you are correct that it is the RER 730N.

GTyankee 12-23-2012 02:36 AM

i found this on a Jeep site, they use many of the same radios as the Rams do

i thought that, the RER 730N has a Uconnect module within the unit

but read for yourself, it came from this site, maybe you can figure it out
http://www.wkjeeps.com/Mygig_parts.htm#ABOUTPN

UConnect Hands Free Bluetooth - All versions of the MyGIG RER navigation radios feature UConnect built-in (a wiring harness is required for operation, see "Upgrading" section below). The non-navigation versions of the MyGIG radio (model REN) do not have UConnect built-in, but will interface with the factory UConnect system, if equipped. UConnect is the exclusive voice-activated, hands-free, in-vehicle communications system. It encourages safe vehicle operation and doesn't compromise driver control. UConnect allows you to dial your wireless phone through simple voice commands. In addition, UConnect mutes your radio before receiving or sending a call, allows you to store up to 32 names and four numbers per name (128 entries) in the system's phonebook, and is flexible enough for an entire family (up to five phones can be linked to the system). UConnect includes Bluetooth technology that enables your wireless phone to connect to your vehicle without wires or a docking station. This leading edge technology will allow you to store your wireless phone anywhere in the vehicle.

The UConnect™ system is fully integrated with the vehicle’s audio system. The radio display will be used for visual prompts from the UConnect™ system such as phone battery status, signal strength, caller ID, and call type. NOTE: Your phone may not support all available UConnect™ features. Refer to your vehicle owner’s manual for UConnect™ system operating instructions.

Good Luck

GTyankee 12-23-2012 02:39 AM

how to take out your radio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYa4pFjZSts

ltdan 03-12-2013 09:57 PM

If you have the RER, there is no uconnect module. If the truck did not come with uconnect but you have the RER 730n (touch screen with nav), you just need either the auto dimming rear view mirror with the built in microphones, or a $35 dollar mic that plugs straight in the the back of the radio.
If you have a non Nav MyGig (430), it has the separate module. The install is easy, just figure out where it's located, remove and replace. I know it has to be programmed by the dealer with a Starscan tool if you did not originally have it, but I'm not sure about replacements.

xsdbs 03-13-2013 02:41 PM

Wow, another answered 3 month old posting. Not sure but the person most likely already has the answer they were looking for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ltdan (Post 1037128)
If you have the RER, there is no uconnect module. If the truck did not come with uconnect but you have the RER 730n (touch screen with nav), you just need either the auto dimming rear view mirror with the built in microphones, or a $35 dollar mic that plugs straight in the the back of the radio.
If you have a non Nav MyGig (430), it has the separate module. The install is easy, just figure out where it's located, remove and replace. I know it has to be programmed by the dealer with a Starscan tool if you did not originally have it, but I'm not sure about replacements.