DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   V10 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=214)
-   -   CRAP mileage! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=128931)

Tivs 12-23-2012 09:09 PM

CRAP mileage!

Ok guys im at a loss im still getting crap mileage. im like getting 180 miles to the tank. i kno they arent known for setting mileage recoreds but come on! i changed my plugs and oil doin wires soon (hopefully that helps more) I have a free flowing exhaust with no CATs (I find odd i couldnt find a downstream O2 sensor yet i have no check engine.) Cleaned my TB (looks new) and cone filter. I can literally get on it and it will drop a quarter tank (and slightly come back up) I need help FAST.

Tivs 12-23-2012 09:20 PM

Maybe i have a ghost code for the 02 sensor? How do i do the igniton code check? is it turn on then off then on then it will flash or something?

Tivs 12-24-2012 05:19 AM

so im getting less about 5mpg....lame! 350 miles per tank would be 10mpg

Bully's Performance 12-24-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tivs (Post 966625)
Ok guys im at a loss im still getting crap mileage. im like getting 180 miles to the tank. i kno they arent known for setting mileage recoreds but come on! i changed my plugs and oil doin wires soon (hopefully that helps more) I have a free flowing exhaust with no CATs (I find odd i couldnt find a downstream O2 sensor yet i have no check engine.) Cleaned my TB (looks new) and cone filter. I can literally get on it and it will drop a quarter tank (and slightly come back up) I need help FAST.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tivs (Post 966635)
Maybe i have a ghost code for the 02 sensor? How do i do the igniton code check? is it turn on then off then on then it will flash or something?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tivs (Post 966851)
so im getting less about 5mpg....lame! 350 miles per tank would be 10mpg

If that is the case there is something wrong, i would check you fuel line for a leak somewhere there is no reason at all you should be getting 5mpg, what mods do you have done to your truck?

Tivs 12-24-2012 10:51 PM

No leaks man ive looked i am grateful this truck doesnt leak a drop of anything. i could see maybe my gauge is way off. it runs sweet, i cant even feel it rumbling in the seat of my pants since i changed the plugs and oil. Its sitting on 285/75/16 Hankook M/Ts load E, free flowing exhaust no cats (couldnt find an o2 sensor yet i have no check engine and doesnt smell like its running rich, and i have a cone filter on the air box. ill try running an octane boost. do u think since i use the cheap gas ill get crappier mileage?

99 V10 12-26-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tivs (Post 966625)

First did it just out of nowhere start the bad mileage? For what it is worth I have had similar issues when removing cats, & having too free of flowing exhaust. Engines with cats seem to perform overall better with them on. You may have more power without them but you pay at the pump. These electronic controlled computer engines seem to do better OVERALL with some back flow pressure. I have a 3" two into one MagnaFlow exhaust on my V-10 it helped the power some, but surely didn't hurt the mileage.
The exhaust shop told me to leave the cats that I would loose more than I gain OVERALL.
Please note: OVERALL I mean best power, mileage, driveablility. You can gain more in one area but as a rule loose in others. The only way around this is to reprogram the computer. There are no programers out there for Dodge V-10 that I'm aware off. I even went to a performance Dodge Dealer & they didn't know of any either.

Tivs 12-28-2012 09:53 PM

Well if i could find a downstream o2 id Do the spark plug fouler trick to fool the computer. i put octane booster in it smoothed up the ride and hopefully better mileage new wires will be the ultimate test.

99 V10 12-31-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tivs (Post 969829)
Well if i could find a downstream o2 id Do the spark plug fouler trick to fool the computer. i put octane booster in it smoothed up the ride and hopefully better mileage new wires will be the ultimate test.

Plug Fouler s???? They don't work. A buddy of mine put some of those things on an old 62 Ford Ranchero 6cyl. The thing wouldn't even run with them.

Tivs 01-01-2013 12:01 AM

damn ive done it to a few cars and it worked like a dream. for 5 bucks i might just try it...but like i said...cant find a d/s 02 sensor.

Fisher Dave 01-05-2013 04:51 AM

I can get 5 mpg easy out of my v10.. just get stuck in gridlock and it happens every time! Other than that unless im just driving on city streets and being really aggressive with the gas and loaded im still going to be close to 8-9 mpg.

With a moderate load and pulling a trailer at 70 mph ill still get about 9-10 mpg(4.10 gears and 215/85 tires) if im not using the gas pedal like im in the indy 500. If i slow down to about 58 mph I get about 15 mpg. If you do the math thats 30 cents a mile at 70, 20 cents a mile at 58 at todays gas price of $3 a gallon. Next week it will probably be back to $3.86/gal

If you dont have a downstream o2 sensor thats going to cause some issues and a very rich or lean condition... neither is good for your engine. If its running in cold mode(rich) your going to burn some gas. If its running lean youll save some gas, but burn up your engine.

Theres alot of possibilities and im still dealing with it on my v10 truck and my gas milage is fluxuating with a weak link somewhere in the line that powers all my sensors. You could have a crank, tps, eng temp, or map sensor acting up and the engine isnt running efficiently. Sounds like you put oversized tires on the truck, thats going to account for some extra fuel consumption.

Is your truck running good? Good power, any symptoms like hesitation or inconsistant throttle response? Your tranny shifting good and at predictable speeds? Run good/bad cold and changes when it warms up to operating temp? Is it running at operating temp(195).

Its not that hard to hit the exhaust with a brazing rod and drill it and tap it to install an o2 sensor. Get ahold of a good wiring diagram to find out what lead from the pcm to connect to it. You might be dealing with the aftermath of someone elses previous modifications. If my truck was getting 5 mpg id sell it in a hurry too.

There are chips out there but then your stuck using premium fuel and that cost will probably offset the milage increase.