DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   New 01 owner, got some questions (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=129065)

mtparker18 12-26-2012 12:56 AM

New 01 owner, got some questions

Hey guys
I just got my 01 with the 5.9 Friday and I like the truck already. I have a few questions though.

I'm only getting 9 mpg city (feathering pedal), is 11-12 see able in these trucks?
If so, what would I need to do to hit that?

I'm looking for a tuner, most I've seen (hypertech, SC, and SCT) all show a +5x tq, is this right? I know it's not always what they say but I was just wondering.

I'm going with a full exhaust replacement; shorty headers, offroad y pipe with a gutted/offroad cat, and a dumped super 40 muffler. Any issues with this? Big gain in lower tq or mpg?

Lets talk intakes...do these make a difference? Is it worth the money? I don't want to buy the M1 Mani and all that.

1.7 RR, I've seen lots on these. Definite mod I'm doing, I just need to find a thread with install and pics.

With the above, should I see 11-12 mpg? How about a tq gain? I'm thinking a total of 400tq crank when these mods are done.

Also, would a tune up help mpg? What does the 360 need to be replaced to be considered a tune up?

Btw, my motor has just under 100k miles (99,750).

Thanks guys!

EDIT: also, I do know these motors aren't "gas efficient". I'm fine with that, just looking for more.

RamTech 12-26-2012 02:48 PM

For the tune up, you'll want to do a cap, rotor, wires, plugs, PCV valve and give the throttle body a good cleaning. Do you have any idea if the plenum pan gasket has ever been replaced? While your mod list is decent, I just don't see you getting the torque numbers you're looking for without some major mods like cylinder head replacement or some serious port work on your stock heads, a different camshaft, bigger TB, a custom tune and possibly bigger injectors.

mtparker18 12-26-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamTech (Post 968020)
For the tune up, you'll want to do a cap, rotor, wires, plugs, PCV valve and give the throttle body a good cleaning. Do you have any idea if the plenum pan gasket has ever been replaced? While your mod list is decent, I just don't see you getting the torque numbers you're looking for without some major mods like cylinder head replacement or some serious port work on your stock heads, a different camshaft, bigger TB, a custom tune and possibly bigger injectors.

I don't think the gasket has been replaced. Funny, I was going to look at that today. and I figured, but I'll still the mods anyway :D

mopardoug 12-26-2012 07:07 PM

Howdy fellow Pittsburgher & '01 owner! I bought mine new in '99 and still enjoying the crap out of it. Never seen any snow (especially like youre getting today!) but mine is an off road 4X4 w/4:10 rear and 160K. When new, I could get almost 19 on the freeway. since all my mods, I'll get about 12.5 highway & 10 to 11 around town. Throttle body mod, C.A.I. and exhaust were the best to help w/mileage and performance. Even the visor from lund took away MPG. Your MPG sounds pretty bad, there must be something causing this. Your in the right place, this forum has a lot of good tips and advice to make your truck even more fun. Can you tell big ben to give me a call, I have some advice for him.

Spidey1.0 12-27-2012 12:20 AM

Your mileage sounds pretty low to me..I'm not an expert by any means, but do have some experience.

Do you have a check engine light on? If so, I would get it checked. There could be an issue with an O2 sensor. My truck was getting about 14-15 highway and 12-13 city until one of my O2 sensors started going bad. My mileage dropped all the way down to 10 highway! :smiledown: After I replaced the sensor, the mileage has gone back up. Could be one possibility for poor mileage...Hope this helps!

bdeljoose 12-27-2012 10:31 AM

I also get 9 mpg in my 01 ram. I have no lights on, I just deal with the bad mileage. Hope to buy a car for the summer.

mtparker18 01-04-2013 03:48 PM

Okay so I'm buying a muffler today, going with a dumped setup for now. Do I get a 2.5 or 3" out? I know the stock is 2.5 but goes to a 3.

mtparker18 01-04-2013 05:23 PM

Also I'd need to know if I need a center in/center out or an offset. Thanks

NVFD740 01-04-2013 06:30 PM

Either center out or offset out will be fine.

mtparker18 01-05-2013 11:48 AM

How about inlet? And sizes?