DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Buying a programer help (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=129165)

Culrich 12-27-2012 03:15 AM

Buying a programer help

I have been saving up for a programer for my 2001 dodge ram 2500. This is my first time buying a programmer but I would like a nice top of the line one. I really like the smarty and am a fan of banks but am not sure which kind to get. If I could get some help on which programers are best for my dodge or which ones affect my dodge in different aspects and maybe the best places to order them from I would be very greatful.

Wandell 12-27-2012 10:43 AM

I have no experience with the 5.9, but for the 6.7's H&S Performance by far, make the best programmers. Check out their website at www.hsperformance.com

RugbyRef 01-02-2013 12:54 PM

I just installed an H&S Mini-Maxx in my '12 Ram 2500. It all depends on what you want to do or what performance gains you are seeking. With mine I was looking, not only for the requisite horsepower and gas mileage gains, but also for other "tweaks" that the Mini-Maxx provides. The Smarty programmer can give you the HP and mileage gains, but I'm not sure if it can do anything else, plus it does not have a heads up display like H&S offers. Truth be told...I was sold on H&S from the get go, so I did not research most of the other offerings out there.

Tim

Culrich 01-03-2013 05:02 AM

Thanks for the input but H&S does not make any products for my truck. After doing some research I think im going to go with smarty. unless anyone has any reason why i should not to. Is ebay the cheapest place to find it? or is there a better website to buy it at?

skinnysfd 01-03-2013 10:45 PM

Do not buy banks!!! im speaking from experience to. Banks raises your rail pressure and is all hype for hp and torque gains you actually get. Smarty is design specifically for dodge by bob wagner and the customer service is top notch!. Its also one of the safest and easiest programmers to use and acts as a code reader as well and updates are easy to do. Ive ran smarty on all my 5.9's and absolutly love em. Now for the 6.7 yes H&S is the way to go. But if i was you go with the smarty jr. 3 programs with various levels to change it up and you will noticed a difference .

skinnysfd 01-03-2013 10:46 PM

also with the smarty and the smarty jr you can adjust torgue management and sevral other things as well.

skinnysfd 01-03-2013 11:01 PM

to explain the banks thing better cause im sure some are wondering. My old 05 had the banks six gun tuner and i was pulling a skidloader on back with it on setting 2 and i noticed my egts were skyrocketing so i put it to level 1 and got the truck to the side of the road and she started banging hard. I got my other truck loaded her up and brought her back to my dealership. first we thought i lost an injector and turned out they were fine but what had happened is since banks raises the rail pressure it ended up washing out my #5 piston and melted it completely down. Ended up costing me $12,000 for a new engine and after more research i figured out that was the main reason for the engine damage. And we have dynoed trucks with banks on em and then thrown a smarty jr at it and the jr made better numbers and a jr is $350 compared to banks $700 i believe . I ended up giving my banks away and then the guy that bought it ended up throwing it away as well. So thats the reason i say no to banks and if ya look on alot of the diesel forumns noone really runs banks anymore because of the cost and the weak numbers they put up. just my .02 and experience so hope it helps. Also our other trucks 04.5, 05, and 06 all have 175,000+ with programmers on em since at least 90,000 and problem free except for the on with the edge cts on it so we switched it to a smarty as well. But if you go with a smarty makes sure you get gauges. EGT,trans temp,boost at a minimun.