DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What height to set the Bilsteins? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=129180)

SavageRam 12-27-2012 12:21 PM

What height to set the Bilsteins?

I know this question has risen many times in this forum but I would like your guys opinion with my set up. The Bilsteins will be here today along with a 1" rear spacer. I am also installing a RCX 1 1/4" body lift.

First Question, what is the opinion of the masses on what height to set the struts? I would really like to set them at 2.8 to get the max out of them. The only issue is that the weather here has been really crappy and have been in 4 wheel drive for 3 days. Being said how bad is the front end shimmy caused by the shocks, if mine does it? and if I set the struts at 2.1 will I need the 1" rear spacer? O.k. that was three questions. I plan on buying 20 x 9 -12 offset rims with 35 12.50 20 tires. I have Bushwacker pocket flares. Does that offset sound good?

Final thoughts. I do not run 4 wheel drive much but when I do do you guys think I will hate it ? Or is the shimmy, if mine does it, bearable. Like to know from people who have experienced this issue.

Thanks for any help and opinions.

gonefishin776 12-27-2012 12:25 PM

Man I wish I had put mine in 4x4 so I could help you on the shimmy part. Mine are set at 2.8, no problems so far. You will probably want the rear spacer for max, but not for 2.1. (the front is slightly higher than the rear on mine, not very visually noticeable, but when you measure, it shows). From what I've gathered the -12mm offset will clear you for those 35x12.5x20s.

candy08 12-27-2012 01:04 PM

If you're going for a level look Id max em out. They'll settle to about 2.5" anyhow. Whats ur rake now? I say max em with no spacer an forget about it.

bigdukeram 12-29-2012 03:04 AM

2.1 is a real safe setting and it will be almost level.

SavageRam 12-29-2012 12:10 PM

Thanks for the replies. My rake stock is 2.5" so might take my chances and max em out. I am doing it myself so I guess I could always do it over at 2.1 if I get a shimmy and don't like it. I am gonna do a custom paint job on it also so I am gonna do all at once. So I might wait till closer to spring since I am gonna paint it. I will take pics of the transformation so I can post the process. Love this forum!!! Thanks for all the help.

fastNugly @ BP 12-29-2012 12:53 PM

I say 2.1 (only because I have never maxed mine) but sounds like you want to max them out :smileup:

aedwardzo 12-29-2012 01:11 PM

Its kinda a hit or miss thing with the wobble. Some guys max em out and go wheelin and get no wobble what so ever. But theres guys on here that get wobble out of 2.5" leveling kits/bilsteins maxed

fastNugly @ BP 12-29-2012 01:14 PM

I think all our trucks get the wobble regardless of what they say.
I just say, some people are more anal about it (like me) and some just dont care.
At the end of the day, the wobble happens in 4wd and under fast acceleration from stop to go on dry pavement.
But why would anyone do this? :doh:

I still say 2.1 but we all have our preferences.

Chickenhole 12-29-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastNugly (Post 970188)
I think all our trucks get the wobble regardless of what they say.
I just say, some people are more anal about it (like me) and some just dont care.
At the end of the day, the wobble happens in 4wd and under fast acceleration from stop to go on dry pavement.
But why would anyone do this? :doh:

I still say 2.1 but we all have our preferences.

Yes, I definitely agree with you about the wobble, oud local dodge dealer here was installing 2.5 level kits and they said everyone was complaining about the shake in 4x4

OMALLEY808 01-01-2013 05:58 PM

Go with -24 it looks better :D