DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Towing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Integrated Brake Controller Issue (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=129559)

clatla 12-31-2012 08:54 PM

Integrated Brake Controller Issue

I have been doing a lot of research on the factory controller. Mine keeps saying "check trailer connection" and "SC" short circuit. It seems that there a others having this same issue. Has anyone found the problem? I have spent a bunch of time checking the wiring and can find no issues. There are also people that are unhappy with the power sent to the trailer brakes. They have replaced the oem with an aftermarket controller. Mine seems to not put enough power to the trailer unless I push the actuator lever.
I am pulling my hair out trying to solve this issue.

h2oman 01-01-2013 10:26 AM

I don't have the other problems but I can verify that my controller does not send nearly as much power to the trailer. I have a pretty light weight trailer so it is still effective on 10. However, if my trailer was any heavier I would probably go back to a Prodigy.

RamTech 01-01-2013 10:32 AM

Has anyone taken a volt meter and actually measured the max output at the trailer connector? If the controller puts out B+ at the max setting, it's time to consider looking into things like the brake shoe condition and adjustment on the trailer.

TNC 01-01-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamTech (Post 972134)
Has anyone taken a volt meter and actually measured the max output at the trailer connector? If the controller puts out B+ at the max setting, it's time to consider looking into things like the brake shoe condition and adjustment on the trailer.

Exactly. I wonder how many people keep their brake shoes adjusted up to snuff. At least twice a year, I even jack up the trailer and snug up the adjusters and check power to all 4 brakes. Mine are Dexter and a manual came with the trailer that has great detail on values and and service tips. I've run travel trailers for many years, and it's at least 90% the trailer when I've had any braking issue between the tow vehicle and trailer. Even way back when I was cheaper and ran the cheapest trailer brake module in the tow vehicle that I could, even those units seemed to work just fine as long as the trailer was working properly. Still, that's not to dismiss the possibility of an issue with the controller.

clatla 01-01-2013 01:32 PM

I know that my brakes are in great shape and adjusted properly. I have a buddy with a 12' Ram that I might see if he will hook up to the trailer and see if it does the same thing. One thing I noticed yesterday was the trailer brakes make a clicking noise all the time its plugged into the truck. I have read that some say its the controller is checking for connection. They say it does it like every 4 seconds. Mine clicks at least 1 times per second. This is with no brakes applied.

Problem is that its -2 deg outside. Not alot of interest in going outside.

h2oman 01-02-2013 05:16 PM

If it were merely the brake shoes then the manual actuator would not lock up the trailer brakes. I repack my bearings and adjust the brakes yearly. I had a Prodigy in my Chevy and I had to turn it off around town because it was so powerful it would over heat up the trailer brakes.

GTyankee 01-02-2013 06:06 PM

One thing that i have noticed over the years of towing mostly construction equipment

Not all the Chrysler, Ford, GM, etc vehicles are wired the same at the rear electrical connector plug.

Likewise the pigtail connection on the different brands of trailers can be different,
like a Hopkins wiring connector may be wired different from a Jayco, Hidden Hitch, or Universal pigtail connector

In other words, a trailer when connected up to a GM product may work perfectly, but that same trailer when connected up to a Ford, may not work worth a darn

clatla 01-03-2013 08:53 AM

Problem is I have owned this trailer for 3 years and it worked fine before. I do appreciate all of the responses though. Maybe someone will find the solution. I don't have much hair left.

ONOutdoorsman 01-04-2013 10:56 PM

I tow my 6500# trailer with setting on 5 and it is perfect. I had a hopkins agility controller before and the oem works just as well. Maybe even better.

clatla 01-07-2013 07:12 PM

I gave up on the factory controller and am going to install a P3. It won't look as nice but willing to bet it actually works the way it should. For anyone having a problem with the controller saying "SC" and check trailer brake connection try this. Turn the key all the way on or start the truck and hook up to the trailer. Now go back and listen to the trailer brakes. Mine were making a clicking noise. after removing the drums I found the magnets were partially energizing. The clicking noise was them turning on and off. Unhooked the factory controller and replaced with another and it stopped. I even tried it on another trailer and same clicking noise. I think there is something wrong with the controller.