DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   looking at a 2011 2500 6.7 need advise!! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=129631)

pdevoid 01-01-2013 06:20 PM

looking at a 2011 2500 6.7 need advise!!

Hey all, I am contemplating the purchase of a 2011 ram 2500 with the 6.7 turbo diesel. This is my first Diesel so I am not very knowledgable about them yet. The one I am looking at has 47000 miles and from what I am researching that is relatively low for a diesel. What should I be looking at on this truck as far as known issues? :4-dontknow:

svt2026 01-02-2013 09:53 AM

Not much for known issues. Just check the truck for abuse or any normal body damage you would on a used car. 2011 are solid trucks, my buddy has one and never had a problem. There is only one recall on a windshield washer tank that may leak. You can always check carcomplaints.com

RamTech 01-02-2013 09:57 AM

Make sure you have the front steering and suspension thoroughly inspected. This is a common problem area for the HD trucks.

hemi4life 01-02-2013 03:38 PM

Check for any emissions removal from previous owner as well as possible tuners that were previously installed. This can void your warranty if any of this was done. If ur not in a emission heavy state/province I recommend doing the deletes + adding a tuner if your comfortable loosing your warranty. Check out the cummins forum it is your new best friend for more info.

RamTech 01-02-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi4life (Post 973149)
Check for any emissions removal from previous owner as well as possible tuners that were previously installed. This can void your warranty if any of this was done. If ur not in a emission heavy state/province I recommend doing the deletes + adding a tuner if your comfortable loosing your warranty. http://www.*****************/forum is your new best friend for more info.

Can? it most decidedly WILL kill the warranty.

huntergreen 01-02-2013 05:36 PM

not many miles for a diesel, but imho that is a lot of miles for a young truck, figure that when negotiating the price.

pdevoid 01-03-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt2026 (Post 972894)
Not much for known issues. Just check the truck for abuse or any normal body damage you would on a used car. 2011 are solid trucks, my buddy has one and never had a problem. There is only one recall on a windshield washer tank that may leak. You can always check carcomplaints.com

Thanks SVT, I'll check the washer tank

pdevoid 01-03-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamTech (Post 972898)
Make sure you have the front steering and suspension thoroughly inspected. This is a common problem area for the HD trucks.

When I test drove it the steering and suspension seemed to be really tight and drove like a cadillac. I know that sounds weird to say about a HD truck. The only thing I noticed was that overall the truck seems to sit really low, or at least lower than some other 2 wheel drive ones i've seen (without lifts of course). Did they produce the 2011 2WD models with two diff. ride heights?

pdevoid 01-03-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi4life (Post 973149)
Check for any emissions removal from previous owner as well as possible tuners that were previously installed. This can void your warranty if any of this was done. If ur not in a emission heavy state/province I recommend doing the deletes + adding a tuner if your comfortable loosing your warranty. Check out the cummins forum it is your new best friend for more info.

It's for sale at a Dodge dealership and they are telling me that it has a 5 YR 100,000 mile powertrain warranty so I doubt they would sell it with any emission deletes and the truck is in very clean condition so whoever had it took really good care of at least the appearance of it. The truck was purchased and registered new in FL. so I think it has always been a local truck. I'll check out the Cummins forum you recommended thanks. :smileup:

pdevoid 01-03-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 973226)
not many miles for a diesel, but imho that is a lot of miles for a young truck, figure that when negotiating the price.

Yeah, that was my initial thought as well, however, after looking at the carfax to see when the truck was put into service i realized that it was purchased with 5 miles on it in Sept 2010 which averages out to about 21,000 a year which I think is about average.