DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   auto trans not shifting and slipping (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=129646)

fj45lvr 01-01-2013 08:25 PM

auto trans not shifting and slipping

new truck to me: 2000 with 108k.

the trans fluid was good color and is at correct level when warm. Truck drove fine and then while towing (with O/D off) it slipped while in drive up a grade (rpms shot up to 3k from about 2k) drove fine on flat and then towards end of trip did not want to upshift from either 1st to second (I had to manually move from D to 2nd for it to shift and then it would shift to Drive....then periodically (especially after going over a big bump) would slip while in Drive....

wondering whether faulty solenoids would cause the slipping as well as issues with the shifting?? (cheaper fix).

I did not pull of pan yet to check filter. The fluid still looks clear red but may smell some compared to unused fluid.

beginningjockey 01-01-2013 09:42 PM

Check the throttle valve cable FIRST before you do anything else. If it is adjusted properly, but the transmission doesn't shift right, chances are it's toast. If the TV cable is adjusted properly, drop the pan and see what's in there. That will tell the story. But just curious, how do you know it is slipping? Does it just feel unresponsive? Or the engine have to run faster than normal to keep the same speed?

fj45lvr 01-01-2013 10:41 PM

It would move from normal RPM up to high RPM suddenly (at a low speed there is no acceleration while this happens...I immeadiately let off on the gas and manually shifted it to a lower gear where it would then engage and I then try to manually shift back to drive (it would often then when back to drive upshift to drive and then operate properly).

This only happened a couple of times on a single drive (some 900 miles)....since I have been home I tried to drive it again and found that I could only upshift by manually taking it from Drive down to lower gear and then after it shifts if I go to drive it will shift there but as it accelerated it seems to drop out to high RPM instead of continuing to drive (I assume it is slipping).

I had a feeling that possibly the gear select is not staying put (on the transmission)??

beginningjockey 01-02-2013 10:12 AM

Sounds like your governor went bad... Chances are that your tranny is fried. I had pretty much the same thing happen to mine except mine had 148K on it. One note: Once the transmission reaches third, it CAN erratically shift into O/D unless you turn it off. Also, does the light in the O/D off switch come on when you first start the truck?

96DodgeRam1500 01-03-2013 04:00 AM

I wouldnt assume the trans is shot. If you can still shift it manually then your trans is ok... yea its a PIA but that will tell you that your trans is still ok. As far as your slipping issues. They seem random. Sounds more like your fluid is low.. how did you check your fluid? Many people dont know that you have to have the truck runnning and warmed up with it in neutral and emergency brake on to properly check trans fluid. Your trans fluid doesnt circulate while in park. Thats why it must be checked in neutral. Double check your fluid and smell for a burnt type of smell. It is very distinct and easily noticeable but remember that your used fluid isnt new so dont mistake regular used fluid with new fluid smell.
Also check your TPS (throttle position sensor), check your grounds, check to make sure your wire harness hasnt wiggled a little loose from your PCM. Check all your connections on the outside of the trans. Youd be surprised how much havoc one little loose connection can cause.
And to be on the safe side go ahead and do a service and be sure to check your pan for anything out of the ordinary. It wouldnt hurt to replace the governor pressure solenoid and pressure sensor while your doing that. Very easy to do. Hope this helps.

beginningjockey 01-03-2013 10:14 AM

Just a caution: IF the trans is slipping, then replacing the governor will not help because the slipping deposits excessive material into the fluid which then clogs the governor. Best thing: Check TPS and grounds like the former poster said, and then drop the pan and check for deposits. That will tell the story.

beginningjockey 01-03-2013 10:16 AM

96DodgeRam1500, if the trans can be shifted manually it doesn't rule out a bad trans. I was able to shift mine manually, but the torque converter refused to unlock, and it eventually stopped shifting into second and then first so I was left with third.

fj45lvr 01-09-2013 04:50 PM

been busy lately. I will try to drop the pan and take a look. I will have to look into what the TV cable needs to be adjusted to check that out.

the trans will shift from 2nd to drive (not first to 2nd without manually moving select out of drive to second)....but the thing that is disturbing is the trans losing its "grip" and RPM jumping.

I am sure the fluid level is OK as I did check it hot and running in neutral on level ground.

Hopefully if it is toast I can get it rebuilt for under 900....

beginningjockey 01-09-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fj45lvr (Post 979662)
been busy lately. I will try to drop the pan and take a look. I will have to look into what the TV cable needs to be adjusted to check that out.

the trans will shift from 2nd to drive (not first to 2nd without manually moving select out of drive to second)....but the thing that is disturbing is the trans losing its "grip" and RPM jumping.

I am sure the fluid level is OK as I did check it hot and running in neutral on level ground.

Hopefully if it is toast I can get it rebuilt for under 900....

Rebuilt for under $900? Good luck. I have never found a shop to do that yet. Even if I did I would not trust them to do it.

It sounds to me like your overrunning clutch is going out on you. Once it is out completely you won't be doing anything. The overrunning clutch is needed to make shifts from one gear to another. When that slips, the RPMs will jump and it won't shift right. if any clutches are slipping they will fill the governor with trash and it will not function anymore. Make sense?