DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   98 Dodge not getting command from PCM to transmission to shift (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=129763)

96DodgeRam1500 01-03-2013 03:11 AM

98 Dodge not getting command from PCM to transmission to shift

Truck i have is in my sig but to make sure its a 98 Dodge 2500 Sport 4x4.. it has the 360 with auto 46RE trans. Has 155k miles.
Basically the transmission is not shifting as it should from 1-2 and 2-3. What it will do is whined all then way out to 3,000k rpm before it shifts into 2nd and it wont shift into 3rd til it goes over 40mph. Usually 3,200 rpm. After that it shifts great.
I have already replaced the governor pressure solenoid and pressure sensor along with fresh ATF+4 and new trans filter. No change.
Also tightened the front band as it should.. still no change.
So before i spent more money into it that wasnt going to fix it I took it to a shop so they could hook up their fancy snap-on scanner. He took it for a test drive with it plugged in. Came back and told me everything is working great. No TPS problems, pressure in trans is perfect, solenoid and sensor working great, no issues at all EXCEPT... He narrowed it down all the way to the PCM. Said that the PCM itself isnt sending a signal to the transmission for 1-2 and 2-3 shifts.
Just wanted to get another opinion on this before I go find another PCM. Sounds like that could be the issue but wouldnt it throw off the other gears too? Also in my 98 would the PCM be VIN specific like some of the newer dodges. Didnt want to go get another PCM and it not work because the VIN doesnt match up. I dont have any other to try so I would be stuck buying one. I will probably get one from the junk yard.
Need to hurry up and get this issue fixed a.s.a.p. I do alot of city driving and im usually stuck whinding out in 2nd without being able to get up to 40 so the truck is usually sounding like its about to loose it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks. :wavey:

panhead 01-07-2013 06:33 PM

IIRC, the 46RE is electronically shifted. Its possible that the solenoid pack is not shifting at the proper time.

96DodgeRam1500 01-08-2013 12:26 AM

update:
Ok i feel like an idiot. I dont know why i didnt remember this but the 46RE is mechanically shifted from 1-2 and 2-3 by fluid pressure... OD and LU are engaged electronically. So there is no way the PCM would have any involvement in the first two gears. Only by the pressure solenoid it does but with everything checking out by the scanner then that shouldnt even have been in question.
What I did find out though was I tried adjusting the TV cable or (kickdown) cable as soon call. The cable itself goes to the drivers side of the transmission above the pan where it connects to a lever. This lever operates a valve inside the transmission. What this valve does is literally adjust to required shift points depending on driving conditions. It can be adjusted like it says in many other threads BUT it is very important to check the lever itself because if you have no change in the shifting after adjusting the cable from the top side then it is because that lever is not moving properly.
In my case the lever on my trans was a little more stubborn to move. I disconnected the cable from the throttle linkage on the TB and self adjusted from the lever side itself. Now the trans shifts perfect. No more whinding out til 3k rpm or higher.
I never found anything online about the lever itself being real stubborn to move while adjusting the cable. But it should be checked if your having similar problems.
Real easy way to check if this is your problem is by adjusting the TV cable on the throttle linkage side. If you have no change in any adjustment, completely disconnect it from the linkage. Test drive again, if no change then crawl up underneath your truck on the drivers side and look up right above the pan towards the front of the truck and you will see a cable that hooks up to a linkage system. A spring also connects to the lever but also the cable so dont mistaken it for the gear select linkage. After finding this push it forward towards the front of the truck and then move back about half and inch then test drive again.
Remember that these transmissions are not fully electronically controlled. Only OD and LU or 3rd and OD are electronic... 1 and 2 are shifted by fluid pressure.
Hope this helps anyone else.

panhead 01-08-2013 12:54 AM

The 46RH is longer overall and non computer controlled for shifting.

The 46RE is the short one and is computer controlled shift points.

96DodgeRam1500 01-08-2013 01:20 AM

Yea i know about the 45, 46, and 47 RH and RE transmissions. The H is for hydraulic shifted transmissions. The E is for electronic shifted transmissions. The only difference in these trannys is different solenoids, sensors, so and so forth. I have been in a 47RE when i had my 96 Cummins while it was out for a full rebuild and there are no other shift solenoids other than 2 mounted in a bracket. Those 2 are just OD and LU (or 3rd and OD) whichever you want to call them. My 46RE now is no different. Same trans.. just the little brother of the 47RE. Now the 48RE may be fully electronic but the ones before that are not. If anything search online for a shift solenoids and find a pack of 4 of them that go in these transmissions. No hard feelings but I know about these transmissions and Ive delt with them 5 dodges. Gas motors and diesels. And no there is no difference just because of the motor. Ive been in all of them. I just had a brain fart in that original thread. thats why i said i was an idiot. But if you have a 2nd gen dodge then next trans service take a good look at it while the pan is off. Take off the valve body if you want too. It wont hurt anything. But you wont find anything else other than a 2 solenoid shift pack.

bigpapa85 01-08-2013 06:24 PM

thanks for that input . i am not having a wine out problem but to me the trans dont shift like it should so this is a good point to start

bigotha2 02-07-2013 10:42 PM

I had trouble with my transmission not shifting till higher rpm also.It turned out to be corrosion on conectors to fuse box .Had it put on a computer and it also said that the pcm was bad but after cleaning them the transmission has shifted fine.

mrau92me 02-12-2013 02:58 PM

My '96 (AT –not sure which one, 5.2L, 117k miles) is acting up. It’ll shift up but quickly down shift and rev up and eventually upshift again. When it happens, it only happens while the engine is warming up to temperature. Really babying the throttle sometimes seems to avoid it. After engine warm-up, it shifts fine. If I shift it manually through the gears while it's warming up, it does fine. I should note that I have had two driving events where it seemed to go into limp mode (it stayed in 2nd or something). But, the next time I drove it, it wasn't in limp mode.
I bought the truck cheap last year from friends who seldom drove it. They had the transmission rebuilt by a reputable shop when 105k was on the clock. It was not running when I bought it. Their crazy dog had chewed up the wiring harness around the transmission, so I soldered in a $20 harness from a salvage yard, and it fired right up. They said it was running fine before the dog got to it.
I had a shop put a new oil pump in it due to sludge from lack of driving. The mechanic said he thought solenoid packs was the trannie’s problem, so I let them do that work, but nothing changed. I have also adjusted the front band. All this makes me think it's a PCM/electronic problem (I hope). Any ideas?