DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   I "PRAY" this problem isn't big (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=129873)

Otterdriver 01-04-2013 12:44 PM

I "PRAY" this problem isn't big

:i_rolleyes: TransEngineer, if you could shed some light on my scenario please!, I travelled about 1500 miles over Christmas and noticed either my transmission or torque converter started acting up. On cruise control while climbing grades, not steep enough for the transmission to downshift from top gear, the RPM was starting to "hunt" up and down by 100 RPM every 1 or 2 seconds until I was back on level road again. On my way back home, same scenario, except now it's accompanied by a small shudder every so often until it downshifts, then the shuddering dissapears. The roads at times were snow covered so I opted for 4WD a couple of times and the same symptoms, so it showing up in 2WD and 4WD. I have to travel about 4 hours to get the dealer where I bought the truck which happens to be the closest dodge dealer. I am still covered under bumper to bumper warranty which is a relief, just not looking forward to parting with the vehicle, the rear-end is also developing a slight howl, no fluid escaping, u-joints are tight.......groan, not impressed. :4-dontknow: Can't recall if anyone posted with the same issue, any in-sight would be good.

Cheers

D

Otterdriver 01-05-2013 06:46 PM

Anybody have or had this problem?

ArmyofOne 01-05-2013 11:53 PM

the shudder is not normal. feels/sounds like you are running over a rumble strip?

its your torque converter acting up. search torque converter and find my posts...they are everywhere lol. im on a tablet now or i would find them for you, but its a pain from this thing.

Otterdriver 01-06-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne (Post 976042)
the shudder is not normal. feels/sounds like you are running over a rumble strip?

its your torque converter acting up. search torque converter and find my posts...they are everywhere lol. im on a tablet now or i would find them for you, but its a pain from this thing.

Thank you for the post, I guess it's off to the dealer....I have 2400 miles of bumper to bumper warranty left. That would still be under power train warranty though I would think.

Otterdriver 01-06-2013 10:53 AM

The rumble strip thing describes it, it only lasts until the transmission downshifts, it was doing this in overdrive and in the manual shift mode in 5th.

westxsrt10 01-10-2013 02:13 PM

MDS kinda acts like that......I'd power down to re-boot the PCM and go from there.

Otterdriver 01-10-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westxsrt10 (Post 980480)
MDS kinda acts like that......I'd power down to re-boot the PCM and go from there.

I'm gonna head out and do that actually, let it sit for 1/2 hour or so. Thanks

westxsrt10 01-10-2013 03:50 PM

[QUOTE=Otterdriver;980529]I'm gonna head out and do that actually, let it sit for 1/2 hour or so. Thanks[/QUOTE

I think placing the manual shifter on #5 while driving cuts the MDS off, might want to try that too and see if the shudder is still there.

REALmenRAMit 01-10-2013 05:05 PM

[QUOTE=westxsrt10;980538]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Otterdriver (Post 980529)
I'm gonna head out and do that actually, let it sit for 1/2 hour or so. Thanks[/QUOTE

I think placing the manual shifter on #5 while driving cuts the MDS off, might want to try that too and see if the shudder is still there.

Or just hit the tow/haul button

Otterdriver 01-10-2013 05:34 PM

[QUOTE=westxsrt10;980538]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Otterdriver (Post 980529)
I'm gonna head out and do that actually, let it sit for 1/2 hour or so. Thanks[/QUOTE

Actually, I mentioned that in the first post, the shuddering was there in 5th and in over-drive. I figured if it was there in both of those scenarios, tow/haul would be the same. It's going in after the weekend to the dealer. :doh: