DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   1st impressions of the Bullydog GT Hemi Plus 11-12 (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=130151)

1500ram12 01-07-2013 06:00 AM

1st impressions of the Bullydog GT Hemi Plus 11-12

This is my first bullydog product and first gas tuner. Opening the shipping box I was very surprised at how small the tuner it self was. Smaller than a credit card.

Downloading the software:
Downloading the update agent was a no brainer. The instructions want you to use a Microsd card adapter provided with the kit but the driver wizard on the computer wants you to plug in the tuner its self. So This is where it was part user error and part bulldog needing to put out a little better instructions. First I used the supplied adapter to download the update to the Microsd card and it seemed to take. So after it was downloaded a screen pops up giving instructions to power up the tuner press the second button from top to esc from usb mode. So this would mean that the tuner should be plugged into the computer. So I put the microsd card in the tuner used the supplied usb cord and plugged it in. It booted up but wouldn't let me do anything. So about an hour later of uninstalling and re installing the software and update and getting know where I had to take a break.(started a 4 am on sunday morning, so no tech support help available) so I waited about 45 min for the sun to come up a little and for the snow to all but stop went out to the truck and started to run the power supply for the tuner. 45 min later and freezing got it ran, hooked to a power source. I still need to find a fuse that is "keyed on". So I figured I'd plug the tuner in and see what would happened. Go though the steps of updating and installing and vehicle not supported appears. :doh: After a few more tries downloading the software update it finally took and was able to tune my truck

The Tune:
Three options to choose from. Stock, Regular, and Performance. I went with regular to start with since I have a full tank of 87. Left a majority of the options stock along with wheel size rpm shift points at WOT. Changed speed limit to 116, turned MDS off. After letting the tuner do it's thing and cycling the key a few times it was ready to go. Luckily I had to go get some groceries so it gave me an excuse to go for a ride. As soon as I touched the throttle I could tell it was different. I didn't go WOT right off just wanted to get a feel of the throttle response and relatively normal driving. Throttle response is excellent, not a huge difference in power but a noticeable difference. I was able to take a 20 mile round trip later to see "highway" speeds. I did get to pass a few people and I did notice that it had more "get up and go". From that little trip I did gain .5 mpg.

Overall Impressions Thus Far:
For giving canned tunes and the setting they allow you to change, it's not bad tuner. I haven't had a lot of driving time with it and time to play with the tuner. I'm hoping in the next day or two to do some data logging with it and post some numbers. I'll keep giving updates on mpg's and thoughts on how everything is working together.

bighemi04 01-07-2013 08:52 AM

Yea those units are really small. I hope you have as much fun as i do with my Diablo. Theses tuners are great, they make the truck drive the way they should from the factory.

imlikeojnow 01-07-2013 09:35 AM

im in the air between the SC, Diablo, and bullydog. I had a diablo but sold it cause i couldnt get it to work on my computer. so that is the last on the list. only way i will get the predator is if i get it for cheap. i like the bullydog because of the monitoring it provides. cant wait to see what it does for you on the highway. this is probably one of the best reviews ive read.

thanks

06 BigHorn 01-07-2013 04:37 PM

What all can you set with this tuner? BD's web site really only talks about basic monitoring crap.

1500ram12 01-07-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06 BigHorn (Post 977963)
What all can you set with this tuner? BD's web site really only talks about basic monitoring crap.

Stock tune
Regular tune
Performance tune
shift points 1-2 at WOT
shift points 3-4 WOT
MDS on/off
tire size
top speed
might be another one or two options that I can't think of. I was hoping for a torque management setting or traction control on/off but no option.

After this tank of gas im going to try the performance tune and see what thats like. If I can find a good straight section of a back road that isn't snow covered I want to try some 0-60 times with the regular setting im running now. The programmer will data log and allow you to put the info on your computer.

06 BigHorn 01-07-2013 06:16 PM

Whats the recommended octane for the regular & performance tune? So the factory torque management remains in place like factory stock?

1500ram12 01-07-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bighemi04 (Post 977628)
Yea those units are really small. I hope you have as much fun as i do with my Diablo. Theses tuners are great, they make the truck drive the way they should from the factory.

I've talked to a few different people about the trinity and what it boiled down to is the bullydog's stock tunes are stronger than the trinities, price, of course and as much as I would of liked to do a custom tune, my future mods along with my 3.55 gears, and the fact that I don't race my truck (Im sure most of you don't either) I just didn't need the trinity. I'm very curious on how the two actually compare

Chris b 01-07-2013 06:21 PM

Thanks for the right up haven't heard much from the guys with bullydog but I've heard they're canned tunes are awesome. Does it have a colored screen?

1500ram12 01-07-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06 BigHorn (Post 978026)
Whats the recommended octane for the regular & performance tune? So the factory torque management remains in place like factory stock?

Im running 87 with the regular tune and bullydog lists nothing on their site saying what to run with the performance tune. Im going to try 91 unless I can find something that says otherwise. I think that each tune may adjust the torque management according to the tunes parameters but there is no way to adjust it on its own.

1500ram12 01-07-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris b (Post 978032)
Thanks for the right up haven't heard much from the guys with bullydog but I've heard they're canned tunes are awesome. Does it have a colored screen?

So far Im impressed with the regular tune, cant wait to try the performance tune. It does have a colored screen. I haven't really messed with it too much.