DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   2011 SLT Quadcab...LT vs P rated air pressure? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=130247)

biggiefl 01-08-2013 11:46 AM

2011 SLT Quadcab...LT vs P rated air pressure?

I have a 2011 SLT Hemi 4x2 that has the P265/70/17 Goodyears on it. I am replacing them with LT265/70/17 Firestones as I am towing a 22' Donzi. Tires are rated for 80psi, what should I run in them to make them wear even when not towing(everyday use). I don't want to wear out the centers by overinflating, nor do I want to put stress on the sidewalls by under inflating, etc. Anyone have experience running LT's on theirs?

Nick

snrusnak 01-08-2013 12:54 PM

Draw a line across the tread with a piece of chalk, then drive 10 feet or so in a straight line, then see if the line is rubbed off equally across the tread. If need be adjust psi as needed.

I have cooper zeon ltz's which I believe are rated for 60 or 80psi, and I am fairly lazy with checking tire psi but fill them to ~45-50 psi whenever I get to it. After a year or so they will be down around 40psi and then I just fill them again up closer to 50psi. I've had no issues with wear, but I did the chalk thing at first. Works good unloaded and when I'm hauling. I rarely tow though.

GTyankee 01-08-2013 01:54 PM

don't go by what is imprinted on the tire, it is telling you that each tire is capable of carrying X amount of weight when inflated to 80 PSI

each tire is capable of carrying some where between 2500 - 3400 when inflated to 80 PSI
Empty your Ram weighs 5,300 pounds

If you drive with your tires at 80 psi, it will feel like your driving a vehicle with metal tires or a Flintstone vehicle, yabba dabba doo !!

Go by your door sticker tire pressure
If you connect up to a trailer that is heavy enough to flatten out the tires, add about 5 pounds
When you are finished towing, drop it back down to the door sticker reading

biggiefl 01-08-2013 02:15 PM

I was kinda thinking 45-55 myself.

snrusnak 01-08-2013 05:10 PM

chalk method..........

It will give you the proper pressure and best wear. I think I have something like 30k miles on my tires and they haven't really worn at all. Also rotate them every 5k though.

kkreit01 01-09-2013 02:16 PM

My Outdoorsman came with LT Silent Armor ProGrades in that same size. I'm quite sure the door sticker says "44 PSI" for each. Truck is 1/4 mi away -- otherwise I would run out and check.

Porter_ 01-09-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTyankee (Post 978738)
Go by your door sticker tire pressure

this is the answer. i went from the P-rated Goodyears to my current LT Toyos and asked the same question at Les Schwab during installation. they said to go by the door sticker.

snrusnak 01-09-2013 08:28 PM

Even though most people will tell you what's on that sticker is the end all answer, it's not necessarily correct. I you install tires that have greatly varying construction(such as the E rated coopers I have) and go with that psi you will have them under inflated and it will wear uneven(the sides will wear more than the center). That's why the chalk method is a great easy way to find the psi that provides a flat and even footprint for the tread. Unless you replace the tires with something that is of similar construction/size/etc as the previous tires, you should check the footprint(regardless of what the dealer or a tire shop tells you).

kkreit01 01-10-2013 08:39 PM

I was off by 1. My door sticker for my LT265/70/17s state 43 PSI for all. I'm guessing the P-Metric tires are 35 or less? I'd run 43 for normal use, and higher if loaded. This is a case where you don't want to follow door sticker. Just like if I swapped to P-metric, I wouldn't want to run 43 PSI in them.

biggiefl 01-14-2013 12:12 PM

According to my TPMS they are at 48 cold and 51 warm. I am going to drop then a few lbs as they seem stiff and try the chalk test. Just have to find some chalk and a smooth parking lot.