DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Aftermarket Ball Joints (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=130390)

1998RamSST 01-09-2013 06:55 PM

Aftermarket Ball Joints

I noticed a clunking today on my way into work whenever turning the wheel, sounded like the onset of a failed ball joint. There's some rust powder around the boot, which leads me to believe it's about ready to be replaced.

The Dodge dealer wants something like $167 per, and that's just the parts... I'm not sure if it's the same as the other trim lines or not. One thread I found on another forum was about the same thing, but no confirmation. I asked the dealer but they said they search by VIN only and couldn't provide me with the answer I needed.

Can anyone recommend a good ball joint to replace the stockers? I know Advance has a ton of MOOG stuff, and with the 40% off codes they always have, it's not a bad deal. Anyone ever run those or have any other suggestions? I can't really tell for sure if the SS/T has a different ball joint than the other trim lines, and that's the one thing that's holding me up from ordering anything.

RamTech 01-09-2013 11:18 PM

I'm a huge fan of Moog parts. Napa carries a premium line (the name slips my mind) that is really good as well.

Howells 01-10-2013 05:48 PM

I bought the cheapest ones I could get from Napa a year and a half ago and there holding up fine still I wouldn't buy oem way to expensive.

Iceburg19 01-12-2013 08:48 AM

Hey i have a 2001 ram1500 and i replaced mine about a year ago and now i hear a poping noise on the passenger side of my truck and idk what it is any thoughts.

RamTech 01-12-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceburg19 (Post 981838)
Hey i have a 2001 ram1500 and i replaced mine about a year ago and now i hear a poping noise on the passenger side of my truck and idk what it is any thoughts.

Could be anything steering or suspension related. You'll have to provide more info first to help narrow it down.

1998RamSST 01-14-2013 09:33 AM

It looks like Moog is pretty much the standard aftermarket brand to go with. Good deal for me, tons of Summit codes to use up!

318Dave 01-19-2013 08:26 PM

Moog...not for me bla... For my ball joints I used the Napa premium lifetime. I won't be worried about them again and good thing, to much work dealing with it.

Siilverback 01-29-2013 08:35 AM

Check Amazon for the parts. I replaced mine with a set of Moog's and they had the best price.

Bryan1ba 06-02-2013 03:19 PM

I need them on mine. Looked at Mevotech at RockAuto(love that site). Good thing they have Moog also, seems to be a good choice.

the persuader 06-03-2013 06:53 PM

I got the NAPA premiums with the lifetime warranty. Too bad it doesn't cover labor.