DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Intermittent jerking when shifting into overdrive. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=130630)

churchillea 01-12-2013 10:09 PM

Intermittent jerking when shifting into overdrive.

I had my 1996 4x4 5.9L RAM 2500 transmission (46RE) rebuilt at 109K miles two years ago. This past summer I took it back to the rebuilder (16K miles later) for a tranny service, an engine tune-up, and catalytic converter replacement just prior to a long road trip. Except for the rattling catalytic converter and an occasional rough engine idle that prompted the tune-up, the truck was generally running fine prior to taking it in. When I got it back, I drove it about 40 miles when I came to a hill that required the tranny to kick down to the lower gear. At the top of the hill, the tranny up-shifted into overdrive but with an abrupt jerk and clunk. Upon returning it to my service provider for diagnostics, I was told there was intermittent mis-firing going on and after checking the new (iridium) plugs, new plug wires, connections, etc. the only thing they detected was a leak in the upper intake manifold gasket. Once that was replaced, I drove the truck some more and got the same jerking problem back. The mechanic tells me he believes itís the failure of the torque converter to lock-up when the shift into overdrive occurs. The service provider has been very good working with me on the problem. They drove the truck over a week themselves to duplicate the problem and went through the valve body to check for anomalies. They returned the truck to me to drive some more and after several more repeats of the TC lock-up failure, they ordered in a new (reconditioned) valve body and replaced it free of charge to me, including labor. Iím still having the problem though. It does it on about every 30th or so overdrive up-shift. It has never done the jerk thing when the engine has been cold, and seems to do it after Iíve driven it 20 miles or so to get it good and warm (I live in AK). Iíve turned the O/D button off several times and it still did the jerk thing on an up-shift. Iím beginning to think the problem is not with the transmission at this point, but possibly something electrical. I still get an occasional rough engine idle with both cold and warm engine. I do a lot of short drives (5 miles) twice daily and about 2 longer drives (50 mi or more) a month. I really like my truck and donít want to replace it yet; but this problem is driving me nuts. Does anyone have a clue what might be going on here?

Chunkem 01-16-2013 04:30 PM

Let us know how you make out and please keep us updated.