DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   2009+ Hemi Head swap onto 2003-2008 (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=130671)

BMEP123 01-13-2013 12:02 AM

2009+ Hemi Head swap onto 2003-2008

Are the 2009+ 390 hp heads a direct swap onto the 2003-2008 345 hp Hemi?

I assume the exhaust manifolds from the 09+ should be used for the new D-port versus the round port on the 03-08.

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi non-MDS.

Thanks,
Jim

FIREMEN4BVFD 01-13-2013 10:45 AM

You can do the swap as the block and internals on the hemi as been mostly unchanged. HOWEVER, you need to swap the entire top end and exhaust. The cams, push rods, and lifter cannot be used unless you use the MDS system. If the motor is from a car (i.e. charger) then the front cover will need to be swapped in order to use the intake manifold as the timing cover, accessiories mount is different for packaging issues. I do not know if the 09 and up hemi uses passive and adaptive intake. If is does a pcm swap may need to be in order. Some please correct me if I am wrong. But I believe an after market set might be easier and cheaper plus with good gains in flow which means more power. Just dont go crazy and order something like Arrington stage III heads, because you move the power curve up and lower your bottom end torque. Good Luck Sir!

HemiLonestar 01-13-2013 04:58 PM

You would be better off getting a set of worked and/or big valve heads. You can bolt on the eagle heads, but you will run into a few items:
1. Much smaller combustion chamber, stock these heads will give you in the neighborhood of 12:1 or so, this is why Inertia opens up the chamber when they sell them for retrofit.
2. Eagle heads use different valve covers since the valves are taller, your stockers won't work (this may require 09+ coils as well)
3. 6.1 size ports on the Eagle heads, you will have to convert to either a car eagle intake or a 6.1; either way you're rearranging your accessories a bit and converting to an electric fan. The truck intake manifold is active, it alternates between long and short runners by means of an internal door controlled by the PCM.

Nuclear Cowboy 03-27-2017 11:42 AM

Simpler on a 1500 with MDS?

I have a 2008 ram 1500, 5.7L with MDS. Several years ago I heard that I could swap the cylinder heads from a 2009+ and easily add 40-50hp, but never looked into it because it seemed like an unnecessary expense at the time...

Fast forward to today... took my truck in to fix a well-known defect: exhaust manifold bolts are sheered off, causing an exhaust leak (I've been driving with this condition for well over a year). Trustworthy mechanic tells me they are unable to remove the broken bolts from the head because they're so badly corroded, and I will need to replace at least one of the heads, possibly both.

So now that I'm about to spend thousands of dollars for this repair, including new cylinder heads, the "unnecessary expense" of swapping heads seems like a pretty reasonable upgrade at this point. Plus, it will be a lot less painful to spend the money on it if I can get my truck back in even BETTER shape than it was before.

How difficult would this swap be on a 2008 5.7L 1500 with MDS? I know I'd have to spring for some new exhaust manifolds to fit the new ports, but other than that, is there anything else I'd need to swap to make it work?

CdnoilRAM 03-27-2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuclear Cowboy (Post 1918339)
I have a 2008 ram 1500, 5.7L with MDS. Several years ago I heard that I could swap the cylinder heads from a 2009+ and easily add 40-50hp, but never looked into it because it seemed like an unnecessary expense at the time...

Fast forward to today... took my truck in to fix a well-known defect: exhaust manifold bolts are sheered off, causing an exhaust leak (I've been driving with this condition for well over a year). Trustworthy mechanic tells me they are unable to remove the broken bolts from the head because they're so badly corroded, and I will need to replace at least one of the heads, possibly both.

So now that I'm about to spend thousands of dollars for this repair, including new cylinder heads, the "unnecessary expense" of swapping heads seems like a pretty reasonable upgrade at this point. Plus, it will be a lot less painful to spend the money on it if I can get my truck back in even BETTER shape than it was before.

How difficult would this swap be on a 2008 5.7L 1500 with MDS? I know I'd have to spring for some new exhaust manifolds to fit the new ports, but other than that, is there anything else I'd need to swap to make it work?

I did the Eagle ('09+) head swap back on my '07. You will need get a set of Cometic gaskets twice as thick as the factory gasket to reduce the compression ratio to a reasonable 10.7:1 vs the 11.X:1 with the head swap unless you want to require premium everyday. You can reuse the pushrods, assuming they're still in good shape. I would HIGHLY recommend pulling and replacing the lifters at this time.

The exhaust manifolds will bolt right into place on the Eagle heads, there will be a difference in the port shape but if you're not looking for ultimate performance you'll survive. You can buy a set of '09+ JBA shorty headers that will bolt onto the Eagle head and have the correct exhaust port shape and they're the same length as the existing log headers and have bolted to older trucks with no issues, some just need a downpipe tweak to get them to fit right.

The intake ports are also a different shape but I know guys that have bolted the old intake manifold back on with no issue; it's not ideal but it will work.

If your guy's pulling the timing cover to replace the heads then you should replace the timing chain tensioner as well, they are a known failure point in the hemi. And, lastly, since the timing cover and tensioner is already apart, you may as well do a cam swap, lol. :smiley_thumbs_up:

Thunderhorse 03-27-2017 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 1918441)
I did the Eagle ('09+) head swap back on my '07. You will need get a set of Cometic gaskets twice as thick as the factory gasket to reduce the compression ratio to a reasonable 10.7:1 vs the 11.X:1 with the head swap unless you want to require premium everyday. You can reuse the pushrods, assuming they're still in good shape. I would HIGHLY recommend pulling and replacing the lifters at this time.

The exhaust manifolds will bolt right into place on the Eagle heads, there will be a difference in the port shape but if you're not looking for ultimate performance you'll survive. You can buy a set of '09+ JBA shorty headers that will bolt onto the Eagle head and have the correct exhaust port shape and they're the same length as the existing log headers and have bolted to older trucks with no issues, some just need a downpipe tweak to get them to fit right.

The intake ports are also a different shape but I know guys that have bolted the old intake manifold back on with no issue; it's not ideal but it will work.

If your guy's pulling the timing cover to replace the heads then you should replace the timing chain tensioner as well, they are a known failure point in the hemi. And, lastly, since the timing cover and tensioner is already apart, you may as well do a cam swap, lol. :smiley_thumbs_up:

What lifters do you recommend?

CdnoilRAM 03-28-2017 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderhorse (Post 1918456)

I would only ever run Mopar lifters; with as critical as a lifter is I'd prefer to get mine from a company that has a TQM program rather than no name companies that just make/supply parts.

Real Estate Man 03-28-2017 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderhorse (Post 1918456)

Hellcat, non-MDS units

striker2237 03-30-2017 11:46 PM

Comp, crane, or any other high end lifter maker. I use crane since they are already expensive enough....