DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Replacing valve covers ever other year (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=130935)

mrkell181 01-15-2013 06:50 PM

Replacing valve covers ever other year

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab. Starting in 2009 I've had to start replacing the valve covers on my truck every other year. Each time this has happened is when the outside temps drop in the single and negative digits. The service manage at the Dodge dealership tells me that he has never seen this. His only cause is that since the valve covers are plastic (or some sort of resin) and the extreme temps (outside freezing and below) an the heat of the engine is causing the covers to crack or warp.

Has anyone seen or have this issue?

It seems to me that this would be a defect in the part or the engine itself but I don't know that much about the workings of an engine. I'm just trying to find out info to give the service manager so that we can find the cause for this.

BTW the truck has 92000 miles and has been very reliable with the exception of the valve covers.

CdnoilRAM 01-15-2013 08:22 PM

Had the truck running just fine in -45, so your 'cold' weather it's not bad at all for these engines in the least, so your service writer is just blowing smoke up your butt. Can you give us more info on the way the covers are failing and exactly what engine you have. Your info shows a 2005, and a 5.9l gas, those two were never made together, so can you clarify.

Excoastie 01-16-2013 08:55 AM

I agree with Kurtis, something isn't right with the info that you've been given....

let us know what truck you have, the engine, etc.. perhaps someone will have an idea from there

Exco

huntergreen 01-16-2013 10:33 AM

my guess, wrong parts and torque are being used.

huntergreen 01-16-2013 10:35 AM

wasn't 2002 the last year for the 5.9 engine.

mrkell181 01-16-2013 09:46 PM

thanks all for responding I updated my engine type on my profile. I didn't realize that there was more to the list when I was registering my account. Anyway I think it's correct not however I don't know all that much about engines.

How to you tell which engine you have? It's a 2005 Dodge 1500 and the 8th letter in the vin is "J" if that helps.

Anyway the service writer is still clinging onto the "cold weather" theory. I don't buy it.

From what i'm being told is that the valve cover is either cracking or warping so the seal gets broken. Also in the past it's only been one cover to go. This time both went.

I appreciate any help I can get so if there is any more info that I can provide please let me know. I contacted Dodge and their response was "it's out of warranty" so good luck.

S.C. Express 01-16-2013 10:25 PM

Sounds like they are over tightening the bolts. Do the next set yourself. Valve cover installation is not hard at all.

CdnoilRAM 01-16-2013 10:39 PM

Do you have any pics of the valve covers? I'm very curious to see WHERE they are cracking because that would indicate where the stress points are and could lead to a much better answer.

mrkell181 01-16-2013 10:44 PM

I don't have pics but I will try to get some tomorrow.

Also I was doing more research and I found out that there may be a design flaw in the engine that I have which causes this to happen.

Or that the oil pump is causing too much pressure which blows the valve.

Has anyone heard anything like that before?

S.C. Express 01-16-2013 10:54 PM

The only design flaw I could think of is one of the surfaces not being perfectly flat or the part is made of poor plastic. oil pressure blowing valve covers, highly doubt that. Does this engine have a PCV valve in good working order and are all the hoses in good condition? 99% of valve cover leaks are due to improper installation. Check the aftermarket and see if you can find some aluminum ones. Degrease the surfaces and apply a small thin bead of the proper sealant on the valve cover. Allow it to dry for a bit, to the point it is tacky.. Then install the valve covers by tightening the bolts in a criss/cross pattern slowly and evenly until you reach the proper torque. Put a small amount of blue loc-tite on the bolts prior to install. Get new bolts and use a flat washer if you can to spread the bolt's tension across a wider area to prevent stress cracks.