DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.2L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   01 ram transmission overheated now wont start (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=131401)

Dma 01-20-2013 06:34 PM

01 ram transmission overheated now wont start
 
Hi everyone, i have a 01 ram 1500 4x4. I was out plowing snow today and the trans temp light came on in dash, i raised plow and continued to drive truck slowly (5 mph) to cool tranny so i thought. After about 60 seconds to truck abruptly shut itself down and will not start again, the engine cranks but not go...
It almost seems like it is a fuel prob, i dont smell fuel after cranking and the pump doesnt seem like it cycles with the key, fraction of a second maybe. Is there something that could cause a fuel issue after tranny overheating or is this a total coinsidance? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Oh i did swap fuel pump and asd relays and no change

ramvan2500 01-20-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dma (Post 990058)
Hi everyone, i have a 01 ram 1500 4x4. I was out plowing snow today and the trans temp light came on in dash, i raised plow and continued to drive truck slowly (5 mph) to cool tranny so i thought. After about 60 seconds to truck abruptly shut itself down and will not start again, the engine cranks but not go...
It almost seems like it is a fuel prob, i dont smell fuel after cranking and the pump doesnt seem like it cycles with the key, fraction of a second maybe. Is there something that could cause a fuel issue after tranny overheating or is this a total coinsidance? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Oh i did swap fuel pump and asd relays and no change

wow, that is some situation you are having.... i don't really have an idea myself of what the problem may be in your case, but i would start out with doing a fuel pressure test to well make sure it isn't related to fuel.
are you throwing any codes or anything? i am wondering if maybe your computer died... or maybe a short somewhere or something. it is just odd that it would just up and die like that, certainly fuel pump issue would do it or hect busted fuel line, but you say you don't smell any fuel so there goes that theory.

Dma 01-20-2013 09:34 PM

I have 2 codes showing 0031 and 0443
But they have been showing for a while now, will check on fuel tomorrow.
Could the tranny get hot enough to melt any wiring close or touching it causing an asd?

ramvan2500 01-20-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dma (Post 990307)
I have 2 codes showing 0031 and 0443
But they have been showing for a while now, will check on fuel tomorrow.
Could the tranny get hot enough to melt any wiring close or touching it causing an asd?

Well anything is possible, but those wires are designed to withstand a good amount of heat for a substantial amount of time as per US Safety Standards. Only way to find out is to grab a flash light and see if there is any melted wires, also check for corrosion because you say you use it to plow so many some rock salt mixed and corroded some plugs, like I said anything is possible.

Dma 01-22-2013 10:31 AM

Well checked for spark today, i have spark butter it is very orange, i tried pouring gas down the intake and it doesnt even try to catch, i do hear the pump engage, picking up a coil today to rule that out... Any other suggestions? I recently redid all the grounds and added extra as well all main grounds anyway

RamTech 01-22-2013 10:51 AM

An oragne spark is a weak spark that won't fire the air/fuel mixture. The spark should be blue. Start by checking the condition of the plugs, cap, rotor, wires and ignition coil. Any corrosion in these terminals can cause high resistance and a poor spark.

Dma 01-22-2013 11:52 AM

I recently did the whole tune up including crank sensor and cam sensor, the coil is in rough shape, replacing that today.

ramvan2500 01-22-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dma (Post 991717)
I recently did the whole tune up including crank sensor and cam sensor, the coil is in rough shape, replacing that today.

I agree with RamTech, orange spark means weak. When checking for corrosion pay particular attention to corrosion around the terminals inside and around the distributor cap, but especially on the coil, water has a tendency to fling up all over the ignition coil, if no corrosion then you probably just have a weak coil.

Dma 01-22-2013 06:43 PM

Well wasnt that the biggest coinsidence ever, totally non related to overheating
It was the coil, i did have lots of spark but it was very orange, put new one on and fired right up. Thanks for all the help

ramvan2500 01-22-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dma (Post 991994)
Well wasnt that the biggest coinsidence ever, totally non related to overheating
It was the coil, i did have lots of spark but it was very orange, put new one on and fired right up. Thanks for all the help

Well what do you know! Glad you fixed it, I had a feeling it was a weak coil, one of those gut feelings ya know.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger