DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   Mystery Coolant leak (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=131554)

offroad03 01-22-2013 12:40 PM

Mystery Coolant leak

I have coolant leaking from somewhere ander my '03 4.7. It only started showing up when the cold weather moved in. Some mornings I see a larger "puddle" but it does not leak everyday. I have crawled underneath to try and see where its coming from, I saw some coolant on my oild filter the other day. I have used my works wash bay to clean off the engine block
to try and help so I could see up highr on the engine. (yes my engine had been sitting all day)
I have topped off the overflow bottle too the full line to see if its loosing coolant and it is. There is not any discolored smoke from the exhaust. I looked at the oil on my last oil changed and didn't noticed any water or milky fluid, and its not on my dipstick (I checked yesterday)

Could this be a cold water leak from a failing water pump or worse, head gasket?:smiledown:
Thanks!

buzzvoodoo 01-22-2013 04:27 PM

I have noticed the exact samething on my truck. With weather at 14deg outside I am waiting for warmer climates. This might sound odd but check the overflow resevoir. Keep in mind it is made out of plastic and can crack with heat. Hot , cold , hot , cold, hot cold. That little plastic bottle lives day to day expansion and contraction. Every time I open the hood I notice a small drop or two drops directly ontop of my fuse box cover. I am baffled because I wipe it clean and the drop comes back. I am guessing my coolant leak hits the radiator fan somehow and gets tossed up. Also check the radeator lines from head to toe.

buzzvoodoo 01-22-2013 04:30 PM

This might sound odd but you might want to try the black pepper trick. This method has been tested live on the Mythbusters TV show and is proven to work. if you have a decent size puncture in your radiator the black pepper will find it and plug it. I have once personally used this method and can say it really does work. This can give you a idea if it is the radiator or not.

Maddevill 01-22-2013 04:48 PM

My coolant bottle developed a small crack at the seam. Bought a "new" one off ebay, it leaked THROUGH the seams. Got an OEM one in there now, problem solved.

RamTech 01-22-2013 07:28 PM

A pressure test is the best way to find the source of the leak, however, it will not test the overflow tank.

offroad03 01-22-2013 07:40 PM

Thanks for the helps guys. I'll give the pepper trick and get a pressure check a run. Who knows with 109,1xx miles it very well could be the water pump.

buzzvoodoo 01-25-2013 07:08 AM

Let me know what the results are because I have not figured out mine yet.