DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=213)
-   -   Offroading must have mods suggestions (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=131797)

gofish101 01-25-2013 11:03 AM

Offroading must have mods suggestions

I am curious to find out what are the essentials you would suggest. I currently have tow hooks, skid plates, great tires, running boards and a 2" leveling kit. I have another question as well, am I going to run into issues with the leveling it's the daystar kit installed by dealer. I won't be mudding just logging roads and deactivated forest service roads nothing to outrageous but 4lo will be required to get to some of the lakes I fish.

Thanks Mike

gonefishin776 01-25-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gofish101 (Post 994143)
I am curious to find out what are the essentials you would suggest. I currently have tow hooks, skid plates, great tires, running boards and a 2" leveling kit. I have another question as well, am I going to run into issues with the leveling it's the daystar kit installed by dealer. I won't be mudding just logging roads and deactivated forest service roads nothing to outrageous but 4lo will be required to get to some of the lakes I fish.

Thanks Mike

I keep a plethora of tow straps in my truck along with the clamps..(not clamps, idk what to call them honestly..the things to hook the tow straps up) to go along with, im assuming you have those. I don't really for-see what else you might need, besides a buddy in case you get really stuck and a winch haha. you shouldn't need much more height if you aren't doin anything crazy.

seanbeckaroo 01-25-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin776 (Post 994148)
I keep a plethora of tow straps in my truck along with the clamps..(not clamps, idk what to call them honestly..the things to hook the tow straps up) to go along with, im assuming you have those. I don't really for-see what else you might need, besides a buddy in case you get really stuck and a winch haha. you shouldn't need much more height if you aren't doin anything crazy.

I believe they are called shackles, or bow or ring shackles.

gonefishin776 01-25-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanbeckaroo (Post 994221)
I believe they are called shackles, or bow or ring shackles.

THAT'S IT!!!! thanks.

h2oman 01-25-2013 01:20 PM

You sound good to go to me. Shovel and straps.

TimW 01-25-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin776 (Post 994148)

Up here we call them a clevis (shackle)

Alberto22 01-25-2013 04:33 PM

dont forget wood as a plank for ya jack, compressor for airing up.

goodcracker 01-25-2013 05:41 PM

I've always called them clevis's also...and yeah you seem pretty set to me. Just make sure your straps are long enough for the other guy to be on good ground.

gofish101 01-25-2013 06:53 PM

I didn't even think about wood or a shovel and will add to list. As far as clevis (shackle) goes what length and strength should I be looking at or brands that are better than others.
Thanks for the great suggestions.
Mike

goodcracker 01-26-2013 12:58 AM

It really depends on how much pressure you need to get pulled out. I carry one that's about 3/4" dia. Its way bigger than I'll ever need but at least I know it'll work LOL. I bought it from Tractor Supply Co. along with a 35,000 lbs breaking strength snatch strap. And if there are trees where your going, you might want to invest in a come-a-long winch....those thing have gotten me out more than once, Haha.