DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Low Idle and dying?! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=132195)

Alaskan Hemisport 01-29-2013 06:36 PM

Low Idle and dying?!

Just when I thought I was done repairing the truck, anew challenger appears lol. The other day it was about -40 and my truck would start idling right around 500rpm or a little lower. At one point, my dashboard light up with "check gauges" and noticed my battery gauage showed it was completely dead. I reved it a bit and it came back up, but was still idleing low. I drove down the road a bit, and my truck dies. It didnt sputter or surge or anything, just died. When I tried to start it, it wouldn't even click like the batery was dead. After waiting a bit, it would click like I had a dead battery. And after waiting about 10 minutes, it finally started. The next day, It would only start and run if I was giving it gas. AS soon as I took my foot of the gas, it would die. Any suggestions? Could It be leaking seal somewhere?

Maddevill 01-29-2013 09:41 PM

First thing I would check id if your battery is any good. A bad battery can send all kinds of weird signals to the ECU causing running issues.

Alaskan Hemisport 01-29-2013 10:29 PM

I just got this battery a few months ago, so I sure hope it isnt bad. But it is something to look at. I just got it into a garage, I had to give it throttle at all times to keep it going. I noticed that there was a lot of black smoke from my exhaust in the snow...burning oil? oil leak? not enough oil?

Maddevill 02-12-2013 07:31 PM

Black smoke is excessively rich.

Alaskan Hemisport 02-19-2013 02:34 AM

it hast put out black smoke since then. I heard that it could be the intake manifold gaskets, so I just replaced those. Also seen I had a cracked fuel injector so I swapped that out too. We're supposed to have a cold front coming in this week, so we'll see what happens....

justbedodge 02-22-2013 12:49 PM

Maybe a slacked excellerator cable, possibility it happened to me drove me nuts trying to find out why it would crank then die, $300 plus in parts, sensors, oil change, diagnostic, all to find last thing i ever would have thought, slacked cable.:doh:

2006ram2500 02-22-2013 01:09 PM

i had this exact same problem. the pickup would idle real low and when i came to a stop sign it would just die. when i would start it up it kept doing the same thing it would die unless i was giving it some gas. in the end i replaced the alternator and have not had a problem since. side note this was on my 99 but it sounds like an almost identical problem.