DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   h & S tuner and other upgrade questions 6.7L help (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=132206)

tmccue 01-29-2013 09:00 PM

h & S tuner and other upgrade questions 6.7L help

i recently installed the H&S mini and a 4" dp striaght back to 6" stacks out the bed. these are all the engine mods i have done so far.

im having a slight issue with the tuner on wild and hot tunes mostly wild. however much i dont run them often but when i do i sometimes seem to get quick cuts in the power. im just wondering if this tunes requir some helper mods to smooth this out or if it just is what it is. fuel pumps injectors ect? just not sure

Im looking to have a triple plate tq converter made by Sun Coast and a valve body modifications done soon in hopes to save my tranny.

would the H&S overdrive tune be worth the money to get until i can get this done? im kind of unclear how it works and dont want to purchase if all it does is change some shift points.

please if anyone can recomend and problems solves to this or can recomend and upgrades to add to what i have and how they like theres please share.

thank you

NWRQC 01-30-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmccue (Post 998135)
i recently installed the H&S mini and a 4" dp striaght back to 6" stacks out the bed. these are all the engine mods i have done so far.

im having a slight issue with the tuner on wild and hot tunes mostly wild. however much i dont run them often but when i do i sometimes seem to get quick cuts in the power. im just wondering if this tunes requir some helper mods to smooth this out or if it just is what it is. fuel pumps injectors ect? just not sure

Im looking to have a triple plate tq converter made by Sun Coast and a valve body modifications done soon in hopes to save my tranny.

would the H&S overdrive tune be worth the money to get until i can get this done? im kind of unclear how it works and dont want to purchase if all it does is change some shift points.

please if anyone can recomend and problems solves to this or can recomend and upgrades to add to what i have and how they like theres please share.

thank you

Before you get too wild romping on the truck while running a hot tune you might want to invest in some head studs, or you risk blowing your head gasket.
The loss in power is probably due to a drop in rail pressure because the lift pump cant supply enough pressure or the pressure relief valve (on the fuel rail) keeps popping. H&S recommends a fuel rail shim kit if you plan to run the wild/hot tune. On your mini maxx set one of the gauges to monitor the rail pressure and ill bet you'll see it spike around 26K then drop off as the power also drops off.

I would install some ARP 450's (2000) a fuel rail shim then try it again. Shim kits are cheap and easy to install.

The overdrive software is nice and it will prolong the life of your trans if you take care of it. It raises the line pressure to 170psi (stock is 160 I think) which is the highest you can run w/a stock trans and pump. Higher than that all you're doing is heating up the fluid, the pump and not creating anymore pressure. I believe there is a releif valve that will bleed off higher pressures.
As far as the trans, you might want to look into a full rebuild kit from Sun coast or a built transmission. The weak point in the 68rfe seems to be the overdrive clutches and you will notice slipping (chatter) on the higher hp tunes mostly in 5th and 6th gear.
If you are not set on Sun Coast I would look into RevMax they are building a strong reputation with a decent price. If you are not looking to go too wild on the power their 550 trans should work good.

NWRQC 01-30-2013 12:24 AM

Oh and which tune family are you running? With or without ATT?
If you are running the default tune family then you are running ATT. If so try switching to the non-att tunes because the drive pressure will be a lot lower than the tunes with ATT. High drive pressure is a leading contributing factor to a blown head gasket..Among other things.

Also I just thought about this.....What are your defuel settings at? You might be hitting boost defuel which will cause the tune to default to stock until boost drops below the defuel setting. So you are going from the 175hp to back to stock, then back to the 175 tune after boost pressure drops.
Mine are:
Boost 36psi
cold coolant 180
Hot coolant 220
trans temp 180

gusman 01-31-2013 03:59 PM

I ran mine on mild 99% of the time.. Had a few drinks one night, ran it on hot and overboosted and it de-fueled, scared the crap outta me but like stated above, you gotta pay to play. If you don't want to replace parts or put in head studs, leave it on mild.