DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Alternative to "shark fin" antenna?! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=132286)

Yo Nadz 01-30-2013 07:13 PM

Alternative to "shark fin" antenna?!

I've got 6" clearance between the tip of that stupid shark fin antenna and my garage door which is making me leery about pulling the trigger on a set of Bilsteins, 3" body lift, and a set of 35s. I'm afraid it won't fit in the garage. Curious if anyone knows of a flush mount replacement for that stupid fin? If I "shave" a half inch off it will it affect the performance?

Porter_ 01-30-2013 07:33 PM

i don't know if they're compatible but my 2011 came with a flush mount sat antenna. i believe all trucks 2009-2012 have them. they probably went to the shark fin for better reception; mine loses signal pretty easily when driving around downtown between tall buildings. i wouldn't go grinding into your antenna end expect it to still function :beerchug:

Yo Nadz 01-30-2013 07:59 PM

I think that's only for am/fm. The fin I believe is NAV/Satelite.

Asur 01-30-2013 08:14 PM

Then he could always cut a slit in the top of his garage for the fin to slide in if its too high :LOL:

Yo Nadz 01-30-2013 08:33 PM

I can't say that thought didn't cross my mind lol.

ShaneDiddy 01-30-2013 08:51 PM

I'm sure there is one ..my Jeep has Sat and I don't even know where the antenna for that is, and my acura had NAV/SAt and its antenna was much flatter than the one on the 2013 Rams

Zixxer 01-30-2013 09:12 PM

Has to be a reason for the fin...I had a 2012 and it was fairly flat but I know the sat and gps would go offline even under a bridge, a smaller bridge. This setup seems to get the better sat reception perhaps due to the side to side bounce? I wouldn't grind it without determining exactly how it works inside.

Cookie Monster 01-30-2013 09:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is basically what a shark fin antenna looks like inside. It is possiable to modify the shark fin molding. first you would have to remove the fin from the roof. Then carefully peel the actual antenna (copper) using a heat gun. It basically a plastic infused with copper that has adhesive. once this is done one could cut away from the fin and remold it with fiberglass. Then simply paint to match then re-apply the Antenna (copper) with some glue. Basically the bottom or base is where there is a PCB board where this attaches to.

The only issue maybe with performance when you do the mod. But it shouldn't be that bad. speciially if you re apply it at the top flat part you created.

Also there is a GTR Antenna it isn't as tall as a shark fin. It mostly used on Nissans but should replace most shark fin antennas. As you can see its bassically a shark fin with the top cut off and flattened.

Yo Nadz 01-30-2013 11:51 PM

I wonder if this is something a audio shop could do without raping my wallet.

2013Sport 01-31-2013 02:29 AM

Yo,
If they start talking like they're gonna attempt to build an atom bomb... its raping time lol.

JR