DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   S&B Filter Question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=132407)

s1000rrhp 01-31-2013 11:17 PM

S&B Filter Question

I think S&B is the right choice for my 13 Ram 1500... Should i get an Oil filter or stick to the Paper Ones?

KYSEAN 01-31-2013 11:18 PM

I was told the paper filters breath better so that's what I ordered when I got mine. Still need to put it on.

rammedifiknow 02-01-2013 12:13 PM

paper or plastic

have had 3 S & B cai's and the first two were the reusable, but this last one is a paper and i love it... i am going to get the filter wrap because it attracts more dirt... paper all the way! :smileup:

KYSEAN 02-01-2013 01:11 PM

Wouldn't a filter wrap block air flow?

kkreit01 02-01-2013 03:51 PM

This is the problem I have with S&B. Neither are desirable. How about a dry/reusable/cleanable filter? If the paper were cheaper, I'd probably pick it. However, having a disposable filter cost as much as a lifetime-reusuble -- seems somewhat ridiculous to me. Thus, I'd probably pick the oiled filter in this case.

KYSEAN 02-01-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkreit01 (Post 1000447)
This is the problem I have with S&B. Neither are desirable. How about a dry/reusable/cleanable filter? If the paper were cheaper, I'd probably pick it. However, having a disposable filter cost as much as a lifetime-reusuble -- seems somewhat ridiculous to me. Thus, I'd probably pick the oiled filter in this case.

The reason some choose paper over oiled is the paper filters breath better.

hemirae 02-02-2013 02:20 AM

paper filters better whereas oiled breaths better. see "bobistheoilguy" comparative test on different filter media.

MetalMulisha 02-02-2013 07:28 AM

Oiled filters suck oil into your intake.

s1000rrhp 02-02-2013 11:28 AM

interesting.... my friend actually uses an oil one but doesn't oil it..he just blows it off and has the bag over it. the paper filters seem pricy though

jrtz80 02-02-2013 12:03 PM

I always understood that paper filters actually filtered better while the oiled ones flowed more air. I think the oiled filters can cause problems if they are OVER oiled though. I always use an air compressor to blow excess oil off the filter material before first installation and each time after I clean and re-oil it. I hold a paper tower inside the filter and blow from the outside staying back about 12 inches as to not damage the filter. If any excess oil is coming off it will come off during this process and not after it`s installed. If too much oil is left on the filter it can dirty up the MAF sensor.