DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   May make the leap (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=132544)

Moose612 02-02-2013 04:15 PM

May make the leap

So I have a 2012 1500 sport right now. I am thinking of making the jump to deisel for several reasons. Gonna be doing alot of towing soon and would prefer a deisel the sport has a decent tow capacity but its not the best at it. Also besides the personal towing I will be doing I have several business towing opportunities in front of me which would be nice. The third reason is plain and simple I love the diesel and I have always wanted one. So I have a few questions. What should I look to pay for a '12. I would like the options to be not exact but at least comparable to a sport. I've gotten spoiled with how nice my truck is. From what I've looked at every diesel I would like is upwards of 50k which is just barely out of my price range. I know that diesels will last forever so I'm open to buying a '12 that already has 20k+ miles on it plus from what I've read they don't break in till then and if they aren't either driven alot and hard or get the deletes they tend to be cranky. So any advice?

col 04-10-2013 03:59 AM

I have just traded my 09 1500 Sport for a 3500 longhorn. Pick her up on Saturday. This is my first Deisel ruck so i'm not much good on giving any advice but i look forward to seeing the input. Good luck man & let us know how you go on ......

Wandell 04-10-2013 01:14 PM

If you can find a new 2012 on the lot, most people are getting around $12k off MSRP.

brandonjansen 04-10-2013 02:00 PM

I'd say go for it! Especially since you have reasons such as towing to get the diesel. Plus we all know the HD Rams are simply bad ass! If you're looking for similar options that your sport has I'd say you're probably going to want a Laramie in a diesel. The lower trim levels just won't compare....

As far as pricing goes it's really hard to say. It depends on lot on weather you're looking new or used, what trim level you want, 2500 or 3500, all that kind of stuff. It would help if you could narrow it down a bit.

Deathrend 04-10-2013 07:19 PM

I've seen a few Larame Limiteds around here for 47k, but not many. Most of the 12's got picked over fast (DEF on the 13's would be my guess). I picked mine up right before that announcement, paid 34k for a very well equipped ST. I had a sport, like the trim and interior, but it's not a work truck (To me). The ST fits what I need and wanted, also has a decent bit more towing than a higher trim (Something I wanted as well).

I've only pulled a few trailers with it thus far, my boat and a work trailer with a load of crusher run with a skid steer (Probably pushed 12k) it handled it amazingly well. Well worth it if you need it.

DodgeOnly23 04-10-2013 10:25 PM

This is exactly what im looking to do at the end of the summer... I absolutely love them. I think im gunna try and get a used one with under 15k miles on it. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get for your 09 col?