DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Cold air induction (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=132757)

06RAMbo 02-04-2013 10:15 PM

Cold air induction

I'm looking into getting a high flow cold air induction kit onto my 2006 Ram 4.7L 4x4. I have a "drop in" K&N air filter, but am interested in losing the box and installing a cold air kit. Here's my question...which is better in the first place? factory air box -vs- cold air kit? what are the advantages of each one? Does one offer more HP? more MPG?
Also....what are the best ones? K&N with the single pipe? the dual air filter that has the pipe that "T"s? Thanks so much guys for all your help! I love this forum!!!:smileup:

CdnoilRAM 02-04-2013 11:08 PM

The factory air box IS a cold air system. If you're set on changing it, then look at a system that has a sealed air box like the S&B or Volant. You won't see an increase in hp, and potentially a small gain in mpg, but nothing spectacular or life changing.

If you get a CAI that has just a filter, or a filter and heat shield, then it's a short ram intake, and you'll still be pulling hot air from the engine bay, but they are much more free flowing.

bigVtwin 02-08-2013 10:18 AM

I have an Airaid Jr. intake tube with a K&N drop in. I haven't tried any other system but I grabbed the whole setup from a guy on CL for $65. For that kind of cash and the practically non-existent performance difference between the Jr. and a full intake like a Volant, I'd recommend going that route. The stock intake is restricted by the ribbed tubing and air baffle that sits on the throttle body, not the filter box. You can even build your own out of some pvc and get the same result. I just can't jump on the $300 intake bandwagon when you could buy a tuner for that much and actually get some real performance gains.

Big Red 02-09-2013 03:45 PM

I have a K&N FIPK kit on my 2008 4.7l, it has the longer hose and wall separator to isolate the filter from engine heat. Also CARB approved. It works well and has a nascar sound when you get on it! But dyno tells me that it added a few ponies. I highly recommend it.

I also added a Superchips Flashpaq(for sale) and that complimented the intake.

pruitt146 02-10-2013 09:03 PM

Big Red I'm interested in the tuner but I can't send PMs so send me a pm or and email would be better and let's talk bud. Email is tpruitt1980@charter.net

ramSpoons 02-12-2013 10:00 PM

Like bigvtwin I went with a junior kit, but mine was diy project. Cost me about $25 for pvc and couplers works fine with my k&n drop in filter