DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=189)
-   -   CB Installation - Stealth Setup 2005 Ram (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=132823)

Golf in Big D 02-05-2013 06:23 PM

CB Installation - Stealth Setup 2005 Ram

2 Attachment(s)
I've decided to install a CB radio in my 05. My plan is to make it as unnoticeable as possible. I found some information on another blog and it sounds like the setup using the items in the photo will work fine, I've ordered all the items. and recently bought the CB. It's a Midland (2 in 1) 75-822, I like compact, all in one, size. Also ordered a Firestik 2 foot antenna that will mount on the existing stock antenna mount. I'm hoping the whole setup will hardly be noticeable and yet still functional. If anyone has additional input, I do appreciate it. Thanks!

namccanna 02-05-2013 06:45 PM

My guess...and this is just a guess....but I do have some experience with mobile electronics (about 15 years or so) .......is that you are going to end up with interference from both your radio and CB with each other whether they are both on or not.

I haven't messed around with CB's since I was a teenager, but unless the technology has changed, most "hider" antennas were junk. Short range and terrible reception.

Just my thoughts......

Golf in Big D 02-06-2013 03:36 PM

I had the same worry originally, but the Firestik splitter is tune-able for both the CB and radio and they claim it eliminates the interference. I think you're right on the range with the shorter antenna, I'm really only looking for a couple of miles range and hopefully it will do that. Appreciate your input and we'll see how it goes.

GTyankee 02-06-2013 04:23 PM

You may get a mile or more range from that antenna on flat land like in the Ft Worth area
some where in my storage i have a very similar AM/FM/CB antenna, i think it was from Audiovox & it did OK, not great but just OK

namccanna 02-06-2013 07:33 PM

Make sure, during your install, that you find the best grounding spot possible. Use a small grinder or sander to clean the metal until it's bright and shiny. Use quality connections that are made out of good, clean metals and secure your ground so that it makes direct contact with this metal.

Poor grounds are the most common source of annoying interference and poor electronic performance. In audio systems poor grounds produce a "whine" that is audible through the speakers. It will grow louder and more annoying as the gas pedal is pressed. This is true for CB's also.

Good luck with the install! I'd be interested in hearing how it all worked out for you.

15004x4 02-07-2013 01:26 AM

Watching this thread, considering doing the same in my truck....

Golf in Big D 02-07-2013 07:56 AM

Thanks for the grounding tips namccanna, will pay close attention to that. I'll let you all know how it goes once I get it done. Hopefully in the next week or so. Waiting on snail mail for the items.

Golf in Big D 02-12-2013 05:25 PM

So everything that I ordered has come in. I am now working on a way to reduce the 3/8 inch threaded post on the CB antenna to a #10 size so it will screw right into the existing factory mount. I searched everywhere for reducing nuts and couplers and no luck yet. Any other ideas or thoughts on doing this are appreciated.

namccanna 02-13-2013 09:39 PM

Not sure if this will work or not but you could always use a die and re-cut the threads. Go to your local hardware store and pick up the one you need.....thread it and screw it in. Just remember to take your time and use a good lubricant when cutting threads.

I had a older Explorer that I did this to the door lock pins so that I could put billet aftermarket pins on them. It was real simple, but then again those are inside the truck.... good luck!

Golf in Big D 02-15-2013 01:24 PM

I didn't want to re-size the threads the factory mount in case I want to swap out the antennas as needed. So.. after no luck in finding the right reducer anywhere, I spent about an hour at Ace Hardware in the nuts and bolts dept. The sales person and I put our heads together a found a solution. Using a 2 inch coupling nut with 3/8 (24) threading and a well nut (rubber with a #10 thread in it) we were able to slip the well nut into the coupling nut about half way in. We then put a 3 inch stainless #10 threaded screw into the well nut. Then filled the nut with JB Weld, leaving the other end alone to screw onto the CB antenna. It worked great!! Time to move on to final installation of the remaining items. Thanks for the input and I'll post pictures soon.