DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Towing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Factory Brake Controller HELP!! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=133041)

jzoss 02-08-2013 01:52 AM

Factory Brake Controller HELP!!

Hello Dodge lover!
I know everyone is talking about this topic but i need your help. I bought a new 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn SLT, the brake controller was in the pickup when i bought the truck, got it home and was reading about the intergrated brake controller. So went to the Truck and looked at the EVIC in the Set Up screen to select my Trailer type! But it was not there:wow:
Took my truck back to the dealer and told them it was not right, they said yep it is good now they checked it over, was in a hurry that day latter got to looking at my set up screen it still was not there, so back to the dealer i go, talking to them they started checking my vin # and said OH you truck did not come with a factory brake controller! It is a dealer add on! So i asked if they could program the brake controller to work with the EVIC so it would work right? NO! There is NO way we can do that! It is impossable to do! Here is where i need your guys help! Please let me know who here has added the factory brake controller after they bought the truck and it comunicates with the EVIC and also the trailer brake is in you setup screen. Thanks Guys for helping me out i go back to the Dealer on Monday. I have this same post on other forums also!!

GTyankee 02-08-2013 02:00 AM

this is the OEM integrated brake controller, the unit that is installed at the factory & at most dodge dealerships
does yours look exactly like it ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2010-201...-/110849612808

http://moparonlineparts.com/1500-int...er-p-2578.html

if it is, it likely needs to be FLASHED so the computer recognizes it

jzoss 02-08-2013 05:10 AM

@GTyankee
Yep looks just like it! They said they programmed it but nothing shows up on my evic, centrel display!

Dragonmaster13 02-08-2013 02:47 PM

I don't have evic so can't be sure, but you may need to have a trailer hooked up for the display to show up.

If you really want proof that it is programmed get them to print off your build sheet. If it doesn't say brake controller under the delaer added options and it isn't in the factory build section it won't exist in your programming. It needs to show in one of those 2 sections in order for their starscan units to be able to add the code to your build.

Good Luck. Most dealers are clueless about adding the extras.

TNC 02-08-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonmaster13 (Post 1006568)
I don't have evic so can't be sure, but you may need to have a trailer hooked up for the display to show up.

If you really want proof that it is programmed get them to print off your build sheet. If it doesn't say brake controller under the delaer added options and it isn't in the factory build section it won't exist in your programming. It needs to show in one of those 2 sections in order for their starscan units to be able to add the code to your build.

I was wondering the same thing about having to have a trailer hooked up for any EVIC activity to register.

jzoss 02-09-2013 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonmaster13 (Post 1006568)

the answer to ( you may need to have a trailer hooked up for the display to show up)
First, If you so into the setup screen to select trailer brake type you do not need the trailer hooked up.
Second, To have the EVIC display you trailer is hooked up and will show the brake setting and also show you % that you are braking. This will only show up when the trailer is hooked up.

TNC 02-09-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jzoss (Post 1006250)
@GTyankee
Yep looks just like it! They said they programmed it but nothing shows up on my evic, centrel display!

This may sound like a stupid suggestion, but is everyone sure this dealer added factory controller is actually plugged in to the two wiring harness connectors under the dash? I believe a dealer flashes the computer to get the controller to communicate with EVIC through the OBDII diagnostic port. Are you sure they even looked under the dash to make sure this controller was plugged in?

Another part I don't understand is this. You sound like you took the truck back to the dealer from which you purchased the truck. Who added this factory controller after the fact?

jzoss 02-09-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNC (Post 1007292)
This may sound like a stupid suggestion, but is everyone sure this dealer added factory controller is actually plugged in to the two wiring harness connectors under the dash? I believe a dealer flashes the computer to get the controller to communicate with EVIC through the OBDII diagnostic port. Are you sure they even looked under the dash to make sure this controller was plugged in?

Another part I don't understand is this. You sound like you took the truck back to the dealer from which you purchased the truck. Who added this factory controller after the fact?

Yep check the two connectors and they are hooked up:smileup:
They just tell me it is a dealer added controler, bought the truck brand
new with 275 miles on it! Just my luck washed the truck today and water was running in both rear corners in the cab! WTF Is this a Lemon!!!
Going to the dealer for the 5th time Monday to get the truck alliend again, talk to them about the brake controller and now water Leaking inside!!!!:mad::mad:

Hemiman345 02-09-2013 09:12 PM

Water leak is from the 3rd brake light seal. Easy fix

TNC 02-10-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jzoss (Post 1007730)
Yep check the two connectors and they are hooked up:smileup:
They just tell me it is a dealer added controler, bought the truck brand
new with 275 miles on it! Just my luck washed the truck today and water was running in both rear corners in the cab! WTF Is this a Lemon!!!
Going to the dealer for the 5th time Monday to get the truck alliend again, talk to them about the brake controller and now water Leaking inside!!!!:mad::mad:

jz, so they are the dealer that you purchased the truck from, and they installed the controller? I don't know...sounds like you're dealing with some very uninformed folks at that location.