DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   slight shimmy at 55+ MPH (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=133227)

Excoastie 02-10-2013 12:04 AM

slight shimmy at 55+ MPH

I just purchased four new Cooper tires Friday afternoon. I though I had a slight shimmy at highway speeds on the way home.

I've since driven about another 50 or 60 miles, and now I'm sure that there is a slight shimmy. I can feel it coming from the front, and the steering wheel sort of vibrates. It's not anything that effects drivability, but it's also not normal either.

Can this be caused by bad balancing? That was my first thought.

I'm planning on taking it in on Monday to have them check it out. I realize that sometimes stuff happens, and fully expect the shop to correct the issue without much of a fuss.

Am I thinking along the correct wavelengths?

Exco

gonefishin776 02-10-2013 12:09 AM

sounds like it to me. I'm currently fighting this same battle. so annoying. except i cant go back to a shop and say fix it..cuz i ordered them online and they "came balanced". Anyways, I would definitely go have them checked. Did you go to a bigger size?

bigblueownerjon 02-10-2013 12:28 AM

mechanics imput

im a mechanic by trade and yes thats the most likely problem but dit could be ur tires r cupped if u bought them used that will creat a sound and a slight vibration but most likely the arent ballanced

RAM EM 02-10-2013 12:35 AM

Vibrations @ 55 mph is indicative of an imbalanced tire/wheel, or possibly an out-of-round tire. Check to see if there is an excessive amount of weights on any of the wheels, and have the shop spin the tire 180* on any wheel that has alot of weight on it to possibly get a better match-mount. Re-balance all tires and check for any that are out-of-round.

RAM EM 02-10-2013 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excoastie (Post 1007835)
I just purchased four new Cooper tires Friday afternoon.
Exco

Excoastie 02-10-2013 06:27 AM

Thanks everyone, that is what I thought, though it's nice to see I'm on the right track.

They're brand new tires, so I don't see where they'd be out of round, though I guess anything is possible. I'll take it in on Monday and get 'em rebalanced

Exco

RAM EM 02-10-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excoastie (Post 1007957)
Thanks everyone, that is what I thought, though it's nice to see I'm on the right track.

They're brand new tires, so I don't see where they'd be out of round, though I guess anything is possible. I'll take it in on Monday and get 'em rebalanced

Exco

I was the tire shop manager @ Sam's for almost 7 years, and you would be shocked at how many brand-new, brand-name tires we used to throw away because they were beyond acceptable tolerances! The tire companies actually gave us a margin of allowance to compensate for this up front! BF Goodrich and mid-grade Pirelli's were some of our worst. Never a problem with Michelins, their QC was ridiculous!

mcw119 02-14-2013 09:31 AM

Did you happen to get it fixed? I just bought new tires a week ago and have the same problem, and was just wondering if that fixed the problem or not. I'm planning on going back to the shop today for them to look at it...

Excoastie 02-15-2013 07:01 AM

After almost a week, I finally found the time to stop back by the tire shop.

They checked the balance on all four tires, balance was off on three tires, the left front was considerably off (that's the wheel with the curb rash and a chunk missing).

I was told it looked like at least one of those cheap stick on weights fell off on each tire, which caused them to be not so well balanced.

I'm going with the "stuff happens". They fixed me up, there was no issues from the shop. I haven't brought it on the highway yet, but I am pretty sure everything has been taken care of

Exco

gonefishin776 02-15-2013 07:11 AM

GOOD TO HEAR! I'm hopping that's my issue too. I just bought hub centric rings to install after the weekend and if that doesn't help I'm having the balance checked.