DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   tire pressure idiot lite (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=133275)

L0veless 02-10-2013 04:40 PM

tire pressure idiot lite

had a tire replaced on left front 2 days ago and the low tire pressure warning lite stays on. my displays shows pressure the same as other tires within 1lb or so and it adjusts as the presure changes earlty morning 33lbs
afternoon 38lbs also the left front tire readout is contantly flashing. so Im assuming the tpms sensor is working as it adjusts to changing presure, its between the other three tires in presure being a 1-2 lbs difference in all 4 tires. the tire shop says it should reset after a few miles but its been 2 days. as a note I did believe the shop in the past when I have had a tire changed it did take a few miles for everythign to reset. any help thanks.

westxsrt10 02-10-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L0veless (Post 1008285)
had a tire replaced on left front 2 days ago and the low tire pressure warning lite stays on. my displays shows pressure the same as other tires within 1lb or so and it adjusts as the presure changes earlty morning 33lbs
afternoon 38lbs also the left front tire readout is contantly flashing. so Im assuming the tpms sensor is working as it adjusts to changing presure, its between the other three tires in presure being a 1-2 lbs difference in all 4 tires. the tire shop says it should reset after a few miles but its been 2 days. as a note I did believe the shop in the past when I have had a tire changed it did take a few miles for everythign to reset. any help thanks.

Just swapped out all 4 tires and no flashing lights here. I'd be thinking they damaged your sensor during the swap.

GearHd6 02-11-2013 08:02 AM

I found that once the pressure drops below the system limits and the light flashes, the tire needs to be filled above the specs (35 psi for me) in order to clear the fault. Just because it increases above the specified psi as you drive does not cancel the fault. The system wants to see you manually install more air into the tire.

L0veless 02-11-2013 10:40 AM

thanks for the input
I will try that tonight.

RamTech 02-11-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GearHd6 (Post 1008892)
I found that once the pressure drops below the system limits and the light flashes, the tire needs to be filled above the specs (35 psi for me) in order to clear the fault. Just because it increases above the specified psi as you drive does not cancel the fault. The system wants to see you manually install more air into the tire.

Actually, yes, it does clear the fault once the pressure increases above the threshold. The system has know way of knowing how the additional pressure got into the tire, only that it sees what it needs to in order to deactivate the light.

RamTech 02-11-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L0veless (Post 1008285)

Have you checked the spare? If your truck monitors the spare and it gets low, the light will come on.

GearHd6 02-11-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamTech (Post 1008996)
Actually, yes, it does clear the fault once the pressure increases above the threshold. The system has know way of knowing how the additional pressure got into the tire, only that it sees what it needs to in order to deactivate the light.

Maybe mine never got back over 35 psi then. I normally run my rear tires down around 32 psi but it got cold and they dropped to about 28 psi, then the light came on. As I drove it didn't get back over 35 psi I guess. I needed to manually put over 35 psi in the tire in order to clear the light. Once I cleared the light I could drop it back to 32 psi.

It seems as though you need to get below 30 psi to turn the light on and back over 35 psi should shut it off. That would be a 7 psi swing to turn on and turn off without adding air manually. That's a large swing....

Otterdriver 02-13-2013 08:20 AM

If it's the spare, I would inflate it to just under 40, it's under your truck, no harm until it's needed, then pull out your tire pressure gauge and deflate it equal to the other tires.

RamTech 02-13-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GearHd6 (Post 1009099)
Maybe mine never got back over 35 psi then. I normally run my rear tires down around 32 psi but it got cold and they dropped to about 28 psi, then the light came on. As I drove it didn't get back over 35 psi I guess. I needed to manually put over 35 psi in the tire in order to clear the light. Once I cleared the light I could drop it back to 32 psi.

It seems as though you need to get below 30 psi to turn the light on and back over 35 psi should shut it off. That would be a 7 psi swing to turn on and turn off without adding air manually. That's a large swing....

The pressure thresholds can be adjusted via factory scan tool.

RamTech 02-13-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otterdriver (Post 1010860)
If it's the spare, I would inflate it to just under 40, it's under your truck, no harm until it's needed, then pull out your tire pressure gauge and deflate it equal to the other tires.

That's what I typically do with customer vehicles.