DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Product Reviews (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Bakflip Roll-X (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=133544)

profiler 02-13-2013 11:55 AM

Bakflip Roll-X

3 Attachment(s)
Had the Bakflip Roll-X installed recently and its been great. Just figured I'd post a few pics to show how it sits on the truck even with my rails. There is already another post about someone not liking the one they had. Not sure if it was a lemon or if there were other issues but mine fits like a glove and is very sturdy. Glad I went with it.

I had the Bakflip F1 on my previous truck and it was great as well but I was looking for a secure cover that didn't block my back window when up this time around. No regrets!

Hermes1 02-14-2013 09:35 AM

Looks nice and like you I am so far happy with Bak products. Good luck with it.

Elam Harnish 03-10-2013 09:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I installed my Bak Rollx yesterday. My observations:

1) It's a very nice look.
2) I drive a regular cab short bed with the SXT Sport PLUS group. Once installed the exhaust note is more muted. IOW, it's a little quieter in the cab.
3) There's a little shake to the cover that you can hear when going over "washboard" like surfaces. I park in a deck that has a very poor surface, i.e. like a washboard. You can hear the cover flex as the truck goes over the "up and down" surface of the deck's ramp. It's not excessive. No more noise than a small rock dislodging from the tread and hitting the inside of the wheel liner.
4) This last is more of a question. I've attached two pictures; one to give you perspective on the left rail of the truck and two to show you how the end of the rail matches up to the gap between the tail gate and the back of the bed. You can see a significant gap there. My question is whether water will run into this gap and into the bed. Anyone have any experience with this?

DonDoner 03-10-2013 10:28 PM

get a tail gate dust seal (rubber weather stip that seals where tail gate mates to side rails and floor). should help keep water out

RAM13SD 06-01-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elam Harnish (Post 1035020)
I installed my Bak Rollx yesterday. My observations:

1) It's a very nice look.
2) I drive a regular cab short bed with the SXT Sport PLUS group. Once installed the exhaust note is more muted. IOW, it's a little quieter in the cab.
3) There's a little shake to the cover that you can hear when going over "washboard" like surfaces. I park in a deck that has a very poor surface, i.e. like a washboard. You can hear the cover flex as the truck goes over the "up and down" surface of the deck's ramp. It's not excessive. No more noise than a small rock dislodging from the tread and hitting the inside of the wheel liner.
4) This last is more of a question. I've attached two pictures; one to give you perspective on the left rail of the truck and two to show you how the end of the rail matches up to the gap between the tail gate and the back of the bed. You can see a significant gap there. My question is whether water will run into this gap and into the bed. Anyone have any experience with this?

I got another brand and got the trail seal and no problems in wet weather or car wash. I had the ROLL X on with and without the trail seal before giving up on the Rollx and yes it leaked in car wash. Yours looks similar to the way mine was.Im glad you like yours. I wish I hadn't got a dud:4-dontknow: YMMV

RedSmart 06-01-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAM13SD (Post 1113528)
I got another brand and got the trail seal and no problems in wet weather or car wash. I had the ROLL X on with and without the trail seal before giving up on the Rollx and yes it leaked in car wash. Yours looks similar to the way mine was.Im glad you like yours. I wish I hadn't got a dud:4-dontknow: YMMV

Are you allowed to say which brand you got that didn't leak?

My Big Horn arrives next week and I would like to get a cover as well.

I have the Rambox on the 6' bed, so I am starting to look now.

I don't like the idea of blocking my window as I have no experience driving a truck, and can't imagine not being able to see out the back.

Yes I know that's what those giant mirrors are for, but until I get use to them. LOL......

RAM13SD 06-01-2013 03:25 PM

I got the Access Lorado cover with total bed seal. It has been through snow and a lot of rain here recently. Car washes have not bothered it either. Its also made in the USA just up a little ways in ND. I haven't had to deal with CS but I've heard they are great to deal with. Who knows?!? CS is a crap shoot 99% of the time. I just hope I don't need them:smileup:

RedSmart 06-01-2013 04:25 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I just looked them up, and I can't seem to find one that has a "hard/soft cover".

I want the roll up, but I need more than just fabric to cover what's in the bed.

If I see their website correctly, all it would take is someone with a sharp knife to cut through the fabric and make off with the goods.

RAM13SD 06-01-2013 05:02 PM

I don't think they make hard covers. I believe the RollX is the only one that does that. I live in the country in SD, so no one is going to "slice" your cover:SHOCKED: Being retired military and living all over, I do see your point. If we ever go out of town driving we take the SUV or car. The RollX might be for you, I just hate being used as a test monkey and then dodged when I had a problem. After the second set were bent, I got a "oh well" attitude. I think they thought I was just going to accept that. Not for $900!!

RedSmart 06-02-2013 12:01 AM

I can see your point and frustration. I would be a little ticked too.

It's a lot of money to spend, so you hope to get what you paid for.

I live in Toronto, and not that it has any higher crime rate than anywhere else, I just don't want to give them the opportunity to try.

That and the fact that to me the fabric will stretch over time with the snow that sits on it? Or at least I'm guessing it will.

Well thanks for your input I appreciate your comments.