DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   2006 or 2007 1500 any difference? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=133570)

Dmj 02-13-2013 07:55 PM

2006 or 2007 1500 any difference?

Hi,I'm new and looking at buying a used Ram and had a cple questions.
1) Is there any engine or body/interior changes between the 2006 and 2007 1500 quad cab? Both I'm looking at are 4x4 with hemi.
I googled it and looks like maybe only the tail lights?
2) Are there any major problems around 100,000 miles? The ones I'm looking at have 100-105k on them. I know it's up to how well the truck was maintained but just figured I'd ask
3)major differences between the slt sport and slt bighorn? I've read about a cple ppl just putting the big horn badge on and wanted to make sure.

Also looking at the f150, silverado, Titan and avalanche if any one has positives/negatives from experience or friends that have them.

BUT
I am going to look at an 06 quad cab sport tonight and maybe the 07 big horn so any info would be great and very much appreciated!
Thanks!!

the persuader 02-13-2013 09:14 PM

I do know that the taillights are different and the headlights on the 06's have an amber strip that runs horizontally.

Really, just test drive all of them. I have friends with pretty much all the trucks you've mentioned and have driven most of them. It comes down to whatever styling and entire package that you find most appealing.

gonefishin776 02-13-2013 09:21 PM

shouldn't be a big difference between the 06 and 07. I would test drive them both, give them a good look over, there might be something littler, a scratch, or tear or something that turns you off of one of them. I have an 07 at 80K and she runs like a charm. The tail lights are ugly (the big bubble lookin ones) but not enough to make me want to change them. I personally would go newer with hopes that it'll maybe last just one more year than the 06, but definitely depends on previous maintenance and how well you maintain it. good luck! my biased vote is for the 07!

I'm not sure about the trim levels, but maybe one has less chrome and the other? That might play a role in your decision.

Dmj 02-13-2013 09:37 PM

Thanks for the info. I don't think I'm going to look at them tonight, kids are going crazy and I don't see them going to bed any time soon.

Dmj 02-13-2013 10:58 PM

With the ram having the least amount of rear leg room outta the crew cab trucks, how is it with car seats (front and rear facing)? I'm only 5'6" so the seat won't be all the way back but the rear facing baby seat takes a lot of space but will be on the passenger side.

crabjoe 02-14-2013 03:59 AM

I had an '04 Quad Cab 2500 and had plenty of room with a front facing car seat.. No idea on the rear facing though... sorry....

Dmj 02-14-2013 11:32 AM

thanks, she will be in forward facing soon enough. My wife's a half pint so she should still have room. if not, ohwell. lol. thanks again

acs0424 02-14-2013 12:18 PM

As far as trim levels go, I can talk a bit about the Big Horn (I have one). Basically it's some extra chrome pieces, the 20" chrome wheels, 3.92 gears. Some things on my big horn that I'm not sure come with the basic package - LSD, Infinity Sound (not sure if this is on all the trucks). I do enjoy the Big Horn package. The wheels look good, the 3.92 is great, if the LSD comes with it normally then that is awesome as well.

I drive an 07' 1500 Big Horn with the Hemi, QC. 83k and I love it to death. So I agree with gonefishin - I'd go for the 07.

Dmj 02-14-2013 09:57 PM

The dealer is letting me keep the 06 overnight. I like the 06 sport better than the 07 big horn because its in a lot better shape, color and similar price. Oh and a 12 month 12000 mile warranty that covers a lot more than drive train.
My biggest thing is I'm not that impressed with the hemi at all. My edge sport with 305 hp will smoke it but the dodge also has a 101,000 miles. Also seems like a lot of outdoor noise comes in. I can hear ppl talking outside with the windows up. No big deal tho.
And dodge must be the only company without locking tailgate! What do u guys do to keep stuff safe under cover without the locking tailgate??? I've seen those poplocks or Whatev they called but looks kinda crappy.
Not trying to complain about this stuff, I like it but just had different expectations I guess.

gonefishin776 02-15-2013 11:13 AM

ohh the sports are sweet lookin. Well definitely don't settle for somethin you aren't 100% satisfied with. Are you keeping your edge? or what? The edge might be faster but I bet it won't tow anything. These trucks aren't made for speed, they are work horses. That's cool they let you keep the 06 overnight though