DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   When do I really need to change my oil? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=133625)

Az67Dart 02-14-2013 11:17 AM

When do I really need to change my oil?

The maintenance schedule for my 2012 Ram calls for the oil to be changed at 8000 miles or 6 months. At 6 months my truck probably won't even have 1000 miles on it. Do I really need to change my oil then to maintain my warranty?

Grubrunner 02-14-2013 11:24 AM

I believe it's one or the other or whichever occurs first.

To maintain your warranty, the yes, you should abide by the manufacturer s recommended interval.

Hermes1 02-14-2013 11:46 AM

I have for a long time been in the same boat as you, although I anticipate having more than 1K in 6-months time, but less than the 8K indicated in the manual. Grubrunner is correct, to keep your warranty in tack it is a "whichever occurs first". It is probably a good idea to change it at the time interval if the mileage has not been achieved, to get rid of the bad stuff sitting in the oil.

seanbeckaroo 02-14-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grubrunner (Post 1011911)
I believe it's one or the other or whichever occurs first.

To maintain your warranty, the yes, you should abide by the manufacturer s recommended interval.

That's kind of a broad , misleading statement. Chrysler won't know if you go a day or two past 6 months, or 300 miles past 8000. I don't see it anywhere in writing that say in order to maintain your warranty, you MUST do this. It is however, recommended.

crabjoe 02-14-2013 12:28 PM

An oil change broken out over 6 months is cheap, so why not just do it? Then again, my old man never changes the oil.. When I say never, I'm talking going like 20-30k miles or a couple years between oil changes and he's never been stranded. I think he's been lucky.

The last vehicle he traded in was a '99 Ford Expedition with the 5.4L He got rid of it at 180K miles because of gas prices and when they did a compression test, it came up within specs.. Right now, he's got a 2009 Honda Accord with about 60 K miles... I think he said he changes the oil once a year... Crazy!!

seanbeckaroo 02-14-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabjoe (Post 1011940)
An oil change broken out over 6 months is cheap, so why not just do it? Then again, my old man never changes the oil.. When I say never, I'm talking going like 20-30k miles or a couple years between oil changes and he's never been stranded. I think he's been lucky.

The last vehicle he traded in was a '99 Ford Expedition with the 5.4L He got rid of it at 180K miles because of gas prices and when they did a compression test, it came up within specs.. Right now, he's got a 2009 Honda Accord with about 60 K miles... I think he said he changes the oil once a year... Crazy!!

True, it should be "Do it when you feel the time is right, if you don't know what that time is, follow the book"

Ristar15 02-14-2013 01:04 PM

All the vehicles I have owned had a % oil indicator on the dash and I'd change it when it gets to 10%. I assume it just tracks mileage rather than measuring oil quality, but I've had no known problems...

Ford Apostate 02-14-2013 01:19 PM

Is the 2012 different than the 2013? I was reading the manual for the 2013 and there's no specific mileage listing for when to change the oil. It says to change it within 500 miles of the oil change indicator turning on. The oil change indicator will come on according to the operating conditions of the engine, as early as 3500 miles. The only caveat it gives is to not go longer than 10,000 miles or 1 year under any circumstances.

GTyankee 02-14-2013 01:26 PM

Always go by the Owners Manual

The Service Dept. will just about always tell you that you should do things earlier, they will tell you to change motor oil & filter at 3,000 miles, hoping they can make a un-needed early sale

I did change my transmission & rear end fluid way before it was due, i wanted to change the fluids over to Royal Purple, my driving is different than most, i may get a call at any time, asking me to drive 500 to 3,000 miles ASAP
I also run Mobile One synthetic & a WIX oil filter, for the same reason, i change it right around 5,000 miles, just for peace of mind

gonefishin776 02-14-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabjoe (Post 1011940)

not to get terribly off topic, but that's funny you say that. My dad had a chevy blazer he owned for like 4 years and never changed the oil in it. He is a front end mechanic so he knows vehicles just this ONE in particular he never felt the need to change the oil. Crazy