DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Drag Racing Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   8 speed vs 6 speed (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=133750)

Stormran 02-15-2013 08:17 PM

8 speed vs 6 speed

Hey all looking at replacing my 2011 with one of the new 2013's can't seem to find any reading on the new 8 speeds and whether or not they will be benifitial to the performance of the truck can anyone shed some light on the subject i mean i can wait a few weeks for one and spend the extra $1000 on it i would just hate to pick up a new 13 6 speed and find out a month later the 8 speeds are just crazy towing/power for the trucks. Any who help me out here guys

LeftCoast 02-16-2013 06:15 PM

Well the 8 speed is just that...a TRUE 8 speed. That would be enough for me. I think that shifting will be alot smoother for sure. It would use all 8 gears when in "D". Unless your in a rush, then I'd wait for the 8 speed tranny for sure.

sprintertech 02-19-2013 12:15 AM

the gearing in the 8spd is favorable to performance but i expect it to have some silly rear gearing around 3.00:1 but rear end gears are easy enough to replace....ive been waiting for one to hit our lot to check out....

compressor man 02-19-2013 06:08 AM

Now the questions become, can it handle power?, and can we convert it to our older trucks?

snrusnak 02-19-2013 02:02 PM

The 6 speed is good, but the 8 speed is better. Better ratios, and more efficient, and history shows it's durable. Given the choice, I'd pick the 8 speed.

Chances of converting old trucks are not likely due to programming/software issues.

compressor man 02-19-2013 04:40 PM

The current 6 speed is a sack of $hit once you start putting power to it.

snrusnak 02-19-2013 04:43 PM

So is any other factory transmission. It's good for what it's DESIGNED for. Today everyone is praising the 8 speed on how great it is. In a year when people start supercharging, turbocharging, and using nitrous on the 8 speed and it fails everyone will claim what a POS it is.

Copperhead Ram 02-19-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 1016815)
So is any other factory transmission. It's good for what it's DESIGNED for. Today everyone is praising the 8 speed on how great it is. In a year when people start supercharging, turbocharging, and using nitrous on the 8 speed and it fails everyone will claim what a POS it is.

Hahaha that's so true!

FrostKing 02-19-2013 06:38 PM

Just to be clear, the ZF 8 speed is kick ass but Chrysler in their infinite wisdom decided to build a 845RFE instead, starting next year. (maybe this year) This one will be a sack of sh*t as mentioned earlier. If the Ram does come with the ZF transmission, buy one while you can.

roo 02-19-2013 09:23 PM

Has anyone tried a transmission out of a HEMI car? 5 speed but much better ratio spread, if they can live behind a 6.1 SRT should be stout enough. Might have to make some upgrades?