DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   New Dodge Diesel Owner Mod Help (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=133782)

Rockd27 02-16-2013 09:35 AM

New Dodge Diesel Owner Mod Help

1 Attachment(s)
So I just upgraded from my Dodge Ram 1500 to a 2012 3500, 6.7L, Automatic, Big Horn, 4x4, 3.73 Rear Axel. Looking for some immediate good ideas on what I should upgrade or Mod right off the start. I need simple stuff like side steps, but I'm looking for the things that you guys/gals think I would be good to start out with. This is my first diesel so ANY help would be appreciated. I bought it used with 20,000 miles on it if that helps. Thanks!

06PowerWagon 02-16-2013 10:02 PM

Side steps .. stainless steel westin chrome plated... the dodge factory mudflaps are nice... CAI would be cool... K-N-filter... (IMO).... BullyDog turner... Those should get you started .....

Reminder IMO.. :D

CdnoilRAM 02-16-2013 10:09 PM

Ask yourself what's important in your mods, do you want appearance, functionality, power, mileage increase, and start picking them from there. If you want to know what mods to do, it's hard for others to say what you should look at if we don't know your goals. I could go on ad nauseum about the mods you could do.

But, for a basic start for functionality:

side steps
bed liner
window vent visors
mud flaps
molded floor mats

I would avoid a tuner/programmer if you want to keep your warranty, many dealerships frown upon them and can flag your vehicle for drivetrain-related warranty issues.

06PowerWagon 02-16-2013 10:14 PM

Well in the end to each is own... Mod-it and make it your own.. :D good luck POST MORE PICS as you go along

Rockd27 02-17-2013 05:07 PM

Thanks for the help. A lot of that is on my to do list. The jury is out for me on the CAI. I tow a 33ft, 6600lbs trailer, so I don't need power. I'm looking for functionality and looks, with out losing the warranty or possibly creating further issues. (I'm not a gear head) Thanks again for the ideas.

CdnoilRAM 02-17-2013 09:02 PM

Don't bother with a CAI, the stock box is already a CAI, just get a higher flow drop-in filter and you'll be pulling more than enough air to feed your diesel.

NWRQC 02-18-2013 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 1015065)
Don't bother with a CAI, the stock box is already a CAI, just get a higher flow drop-in filter and you'll be pulling more than enough air to feed your diesel.

Partly I agree, don't bother with the CAI kits or the K&N drop in filters. Stick the with OEM filter as it flows plenty of air and serves it's purpose (oiled filters such as K&N are more trouble than they are worth.) If you are thinking that you are going to make over 500whp then you should start looking.. at aftermarket setups..

The stock set-up is capable of supporting 500hp easily

Rockd27 02-18-2013 03:17 PM

Ok, I dont want to get crazy or go down a road I cant afford or fix, lol. I just want to make sure I can tow my trailer up the mountains. I live in AL but plan on moving to Colorado or Washington next so, I just need to make sure that I can go up those mountains with my trailer and gear, no issues. I'm not racing our hauling anything too big. Again I appreciate everyones help who has responded.

Wandell 02-19-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWRQC (Post 1015371)
Partly I agree, don't bother with the CAI kits or the K&N drop in filters. Stick the with OEM filter as it flows plenty of air and serves it's purpose (oiled filters such as K&N are more trouble than they are worth.) If you are thinking that you are going to make over 500whp then you should start looking.. at aftermarket setups..

The stock set-up is capable of supporting 500hp easily

I agree. The OEM intake is a really good design. The OEM exhaust is also really good, except for the DPF/NOX. No need to waste money on a CAI or a DPF-back exhaust.

NWRQC 02-20-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wandell (Post 1016659)
I agree. The OEM intake is a really good design. The OEM exhaust is also really good, except for the DPF/NOX. No need to waste money on a CAI or a DPF-back exhaust.

With that your best investment is an H&S Mini Maxx (race version) or XRT pro + a 4" turbo back exhaust. Diamond eye is a good cheap alternative.. I have their 4".
Fuel economy will go up 3+mpg and EGT's will be lower (that includes egr unpluging) and power will be up to help with towing.