DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   rats or squirells have chewed my wires!!! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=133872)

metterfalcon 02-17-2013 12:52 PM

rats or squirells have chewed my wires!!!

got in my truck this morning and cranked it up and noticed it was skipping, then the engine light came on flashing. it stays parked during the week while i'm gone out of town, when i popped the hood i see the edges of the firewall eaten, the battery cover chewed, the hood light wire chewed into, and who knows what else.....

first - does anyone else have problems like this and how do you stop them from damaging more?

second - would my truck insurance or home owners cover this?

thanks.

RAM EM 02-17-2013 01:29 PM

That sucks :smiledown:. I had my 66 mustang parked at a friends house and didn't check on it for about 3 months. When I opened the hood there were leaves, moss, and acorns covering the ENTIRE engine bay. You couldn't even see the engine at all!
As far as a remedy, the best thing to do would be to get your GF or wife (or both, lol) to move/drive it at least every other day. It's the static nature of the truck that attracts them, they think it's not ever going anywhere and would make a good home. Or you could put a cat in the engine bay :LOL:.
I would think either your car or homeowners would cover the damage. Good luck with it.

Porter_ 02-17-2013 01:38 PM

i realize all the visible damage is under the hood, but chances are they've nested in your warm, cozy interior.

i went through this a few years ago with my ex-wife's car. mice decided to make it their home and they were chewing up carpet, wires, and anything else they could get their little bastard teeth around. simply driving it around didn't get rid of them they just went along for the ride. she wanted a 'humane' way of repelling them so after some research we tried soaking cotton balls in mint extract and placing them in the car. the smell of mint is supposed to repel mice. of course she didn't want to drive around with mice in the car so we swapped vehicles and i took over the rat mobile. after a week of driving and a minty-fresh smelling interior they were still there, doing damage. i got fed up and abandoned the 'humane approach' and put rat traps with cheese in there. they chose more carpet and wires over the cheese. swapped out the cheese with peanut butter and started getting hits. finally got rid of them one by one.

long story short: don't screw around; place a bunch of rat traps with peanut butter and kill those little bastards before they do more damage.

drew7811 02-17-2013 02:22 PM

That sucks. Sorry to hear. I was watching the news this morning and they had a story on just this at Denver International airport, but it was with rabbits. They have been causing many problems with your exact problem. They were hopping up into engine compartments and gnawing on wires.

metterfalcon 02-17-2013 02:35 PM

i moved it. i also removed the engine cover and discovred two of the plug wires were eaten in half, acorns piled up on the engine bay. my sister in law is our insurance agent. she is looking into it. says it should be covered under comperhension on the truck insurance.

my worry is, wont they have to replace all the fire wall that has been eaten and all wiring harnesses that has been urinated on? i read one person had his vehicle written off because it happened more than once.

RAM EM 02-17-2013 09:31 PM

This is why I will assasinate a squirrel on site, sorry to any PETA forum members. They are worthless little tree rats. I am always shocked and apalled when I see people encourage their prescence by feeding them! They are pests and do nothing but destroy your stuff.
Squirrels fear me.

Rant over.

dwanton 02-17-2013 09:37 PM

your auto insurance will cover it under comprehensive.

they have to replace anything that is damaged by the rats

Stump3r 02-17-2013 09:39 PM

Not sure if it works with squirrels but I put Bounce dryer sheets all over the interior of my travel trailer and I have never had an issue with mice. I'm like Ram EM though and will terminate any squirrel I see, my father in law has had a hell of problem with the fuzzy tail little rats on the acreage.

dwanton 02-17-2013 09:45 PM

I have tried moth balls , sprays and fabric softener sheets with the cars that we dont drive that often and the only thing that worked was a enclosed trailer !

I hate mice !!!!!!!

rdsabin 02-18-2013 08:37 AM

Yahoo had a article that said rabbits were doing this also, here in MN we have problems with red squirrels chewing on the insulation of the wires. The best thing is a 22 caliber but since I live in town now I had to switch to Fox Urine. Seems to help. Find some kind of predator's urine and mark the territory close to where you park your vehicle.