DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   changing engines; magnum versus power tech (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=133982)

mikosiko 02-18-2013 03:40 PM

changing engines; magnum versus power tech

First I want to try and put a different engine that has more support, 3rd party support behind it. I mean even the cams have been discontinued. Not good. What would fit and which engine would be recommended... Also my engine says its a magnum 4.7, I thought it was a power tech and it seems most would think that because even in my name and truck engine details for this forum it automatically assumes it to be a power tech... Where could I find a little detail history behind my version of truck I own...If these things are somewhere else in the forum please send a link but I searched until it became painful :LOL:

snrusnak 02-18-2013 04:25 PM

First thing I'd do is not refer to them by names such as magnum or powertech because they don't follow any logic to correspond to a certain year. There was a 5.2L magnum, a 5.9L magnum, a v6 magnum, and a 5.7L hemi magnum.

2007 and older 4.7L are all basically the same engine.
2008 and newer are all basically teh same engine(different from 2007 and older).

The architecture is basically the same with all 4.7's but in 2008 they changed cylinder head design, changed cam shaft profiles, changed the intake and exhaust manifolds, the throttle body, ignition system, etc.

Honestly, the 2008+ 4.7L has very little aftermarket support as well

Go to a hemi if you're going to swap.

mikosiko 02-23-2013 10:43 PM

cool thanks for the info, yeah interesting that they would have an engine by two different names and yet be almost totally the same... Ok so I gather based on your post that is never a worry about any signifigant differences between a magnum and a power tech that will cause me any issues in mounting maybe say 5.7 in the 03 if it will fit that is. I have a re-manufacturer/ machine shop that can handle all my needs but it will be necessary to find out some info first from all of you in the know about these type of change overs. I know I am increasing size considerably but yet if torque converter and welding new motor mounts is all that it is for the major part, then I see it as worth it because I would like to hold on to my truck forever if possible... Lack of 4.7l support is kind of a crappy underhanded thing to do but I understand we all need to make a dime :)

nepats1992 07-30-2013 12:59 AM

'03 Rams came with HEMIs in them, so it will fit. You'll have to find/make motor mounts to bolt it in, as well as swap trannies but I'm not 100% on the tranny. Also, you'll need the computer for the HEMI. Best advice is find a donor truck with what you need.

OhhTRee.5.SPeeD 08-17-2013 06:32 PM

03 hemi swap

I have a 03 4.7
Last year I snapped 2 connecting rods, ruined the block.
Of course first thought was hemi... After some research there was a lot more modifications then I thought! Including a wiring harness swap. Also with my 03 having the 5-speed (nv3500). It was recommended that the 3500 be swapped with a NV4500, what u would find in a Cummings 2500 or 3500 series pickup to handle the extra torque. As suggested, a Donner truck would be your best option to avoid curse words and extra aggravation!

deanhinsley1963 08-17-2013 06:47 PM

Or just trade for a truck with the Hemi already installed. You will love yourself alot more that way. Unless piddling is your kind of thing! But be warned it will cost you to do the swap!

tjbiker031 08-19-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanhinsley1963 (Post 1178768)
Or just trade for a truck with the Hemi already installed. You will love yourself alot more that way. Unless piddling is your kind of thing! But be warned it will cost you to do the swap!

I agree. You wont believe the headaches you come across when doing an engine swap. Just sell it and buy a truck you want. It may seem like your going to pay more but you will break even with down time, actual costs its going to be and no headache when you cant get it to work properly.....i been there....

deanhinsley1963 08-20-2013 08:17 PM

Amen Brother!!!

1stdodgeram1500 10-26-2013 02:48 PM

can he stroke out the 4.7 ?

Tommycat 11-05-2013 01:10 AM

If you still want to do the motor swap, here are the things you will need

Motor mounts (Dodge has them for about 90 a piece. Worth buying new)
Headlight to dash wiring harness(yes the whole thing from an 03 or 04)
Engine harness from the same vehicle as the headlight to dash harness(03 or 04)
AC compressor
Alternator
Power Steering pump(at least the pulley)
High pressure hose, and sensor.
throttle cable(yes, really) from an 03 or 04 with a HEMI AND the throttle control module.
The HEMI
Driver Side wheel hub with tone ring and ABS sensor(for ABS and Cruise Control)
Computer for a 5.7 and get it programmed for your vehicle. Oh and remove SCIM.
Post cat O2 Sensors
Fuel line

I've done it. It's a pain. But I only rated it about 20 curse words.
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=108913