DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   2013 2500 Manual trans diesel motors have 200ft-lbs less than auto? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=134265)

hellboy006 02-21-2013 01:37 PM

2013 2500 Manual trans diesel motors have 200ft-lbs less than auto?

I was just doing some reading on whats new with the 2013 heavy duty pickups and I'm now wondering why they give the manual trans equipped trucks so much less power than the autos? 200 to 250ft-lbs is a lot & I've always been under the impression that manual transmissions in general are stronger and last longer. But it seems that is not the case with these... Does this mean that buying a stick-shift would be a bad idea if you plan on any significant power upgrades? I personally prefer to stir my gears myself but that is a big downgrade in power.. :smiledown:

Red devil 02-21-2013 02:32 PM

The tranny in any hd is the weak spot when doing any real power making mods. Auto or manual, your looking at 4-5k in tranny upgrades to be able to hold all that power. Stock tranny is only good for about a 100 extra hp before it craps out. If your really interested in modding a 2500 diesel, look into early production '12 or earlier. The EPA put the smack down on tuners(edge,h&s) and their not producing the tuners which will allow you to do all the deletes.

Sraibikis 02-21-2013 03:22 PM

The manual transmission is strong, but they havent put a beefy enough clutch in it to hold the power. The rule of thumb is about 100hp for the auto or stock clutch. The 2013 will not need the deletes like the 2007-2012. Good point about the tuners though. I've heard rumors about a loophole on being able to do software updates on current products, so there may be hope in the future!

hellboy006 02-22-2013 09:11 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, I have trouble leaving any motor stock, especially when its the legendary Cummins! I wouldnt mind having a 2012 though if its worth it.

crabjoe 02-22-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellboy006 (Post 1020151)
Thanks for the replies guys, I have trouble leaving any motor stock, especially when its the legendary Cummins! I wouldnt mind having a 2012 though if its worth it.

It's the same with the '12s. Manual has way less torque than a auto. In fact, the '12 manual has less torque than then '13 manual.

Gantman 02-22-2013 09:34 PM

Yeah Hellboy, the Automatic trans has come a long way from what they used to be. And it's funny how some of you have mentioned the latest smack down with EPA hittin Edge products hard on new diesel programmers. On my way home today, I just had to say Whoa! Because right behind me to the left came this screaming, black smoke snortin, 2nd gen cummins rippin by! I just had to give him the thumbs up sign because that takes big balls to drive on city streets like that. I work around too many clean air act advocates in Austin. They'd love trucks like that for breakfast,lunch and dinner.

hellboy006 02-25-2013 02:05 PM

Theres nothing like an old 12 valve...
Well shit now idk if I want a manual or auto, I know stick shifts are hard to find now days anyway... I just miss having a clutch pedal & the gears in my hand.