DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Odd Coolant Leak (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=134390)

jfreddy 02-22-2013 07:24 PM

Odd Coolant Leak

Ok so I just bought a 99 Ram 1500 Sport. 4x4 5.2 Auto with A/C.

I just been going through the truck making sure there are no unkown problems before I start driving it and I found a coolant drip but can't follow it anywhere.

It's on the passenger side corner bolt of the oil pan is where I found it. It's all dry above (leading towards a head gasket or intake manifold, which is what I first suspected). Also I checked from what I could see all around the water pump and t-stat housing but couldnt find anything leading to that spot either.

The truck is low on coolant, still some near the top of the rad but the overflow was empty. So I'm just wondering if anyone else has found a coolant leak in that general area. I'll try a pressure test and see if I can find anything. But being lazy haha I figured I'd post here first and see if anyone can shortcut me to the issue

RamTech 02-23-2013 09:34 AM

Thermostat gasket is the most common point for leaks on these trucks and it's easily overlooked because of its location.

jfreddy 02-25-2013 11:42 PM

I will definetly take it apart and take a closer look at it for sure. But I also read on here that there are frost plugs in the rear of the block that you have to take the trans out for access to them. From what i've read it related closely to the leaks location and trail.

CBW1999 03-17-2013 07:17 PM

Too funnny.... I recently bought a 99 and am seeing very close to the same leak and pulling what little hair I have left- trying to find its point of origin.

I'm pulling the intake manifold this week to replace all the gaskets and will look closely at the t-stat housing. I bought the kit that has everything in it so it was going to be replaced anyway but, now I am really curious if it was coming from there.

barra340 06-02-2013 01:08 PM

II have a 2001 5.9 and had the leak on the drivers side. It leaks out of the front of the intake when the truck sits after running. Leaks down with a slow drip. I couldn't see mine either. Thought it was water pump. Took me a while to figure it out.

Wh1t3nukle 06-05-2013 10:44 AM

Unsure if the OP found his leak, but here are some other typical places to check. Also, some can only be found by using a paper towel and at the moment of shutting off...

1. Heater core hoses in/out
2. Water pump on the bottom side
3. Upper Rad Hose to the IM
4. Bypass hose
5. Water Pump Inlet Pipe - oring there likes to deteroriate. This one is either obvious or need a paper towel next to it wick the liquid. Sometimes only seen seconds after shutdown b/c of back pressure.

Always look for remnants of dried up crystals

These are basic checks that don't require removing parts.

tox 07-28-2013 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wh1t3nukle (Post 1117148)
Unsure if the OP found his leak, but here are some other typical places to check. Also, some can only be found by using a paper towel and at the moment of shutting off...

1. Heater core hoses in/out
2. Water pump on the bottom side
3. Upper Rad Hose to the IM
4. Bypass hose
5. Water Pump Inlet Pipe - oring there likes to deteroriate. This one is either obvious or need a paper towel next to it wick the liquid. Sometimes only seen seconds after shutdown b/c of back pressure.

Always look for remnants of dried up crystals

These are basic checks that don't require removing parts.

I would also add the timing chain cover gasket to that list. Mine was leaking badly.