DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Oil Change (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Oil Change Frequency (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=134477)

KA1OTE 02-23-2013 06:02 PM

Oil Change Frequency

Mods: Please move this thread if it doesn't belong here. I wasn't sure where to put it. :i_rolleyes:

I bought my truck October, 2012. She was built November, 2011. Had 42 miles when I bought her. Obviously had almost one year old factory oil still. Dealership gave me a free oil change to fresh oil in November, 2012. Oil change light lit up earlier this week with 3500 miles on the odometer. I reset the light following easy steps found here on the forum.

Question is this: When do I take her in next?
When the light comes on again?
When I reach the 4600 miles written on my sticker in the window?
Or when I reach a different mileage milestone (i.e., 5000 miles)?

westxsrt10 02-23-2013 06:08 PM

If your oil light came on then it's time to change it. Since it has 3450 miles on it from the last oil change it's time now.

How many miles was on the od in Nov.? Maybe the oil light wasnt set/reset after the first oil change. My oil LIGHT comes on after only 1600 miles sometimes.

mikennrg 02-23-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KA1OTE (Post 1020933)
Mods: Please move this thread if it doesn't belong here. I wasn't sure where to put it. :i_rolleyes:

I bought my truck October, 2012. She was built November, 2011. Had 42 miles when I bought her. Obviously had almost one year old factory oil still. Dealership gave me a free oil change to fresh oil in November, 2012. Oil change light lit up earlier this week with 3500 miles on the odometer. I reset the light following easy steps found here on the forum.

Question is this: When do I take her in next?
When the light comes on again?
When I reach the 4600 miles written on my sticker in the window?
Or when I reach a different mileage milestone (i.e., 5000 miles)?

Did you reset the light and not change the oil? Most suggest doing the first change right at 3,000 then going to 5,000 from then on. It's probably pretty dirty from the engine breaking in.

Asur 02-23-2013 06:13 PM

Its up to you, you can do it when it says, you can bring it in at 5000 miles, 3500 miles, its really up to you, some will say follow what the truck says, some will say follow the book, others will say every 3500, some will say, 3500 and full synthetic, its boils down to you, what do you feel, cause everyone will have an opinion, me 3500-4000 or 6 months, whichever comes first and full synthetic. Thats what I do, I don't care on spending money, I don't care on cost of full synthetic and I do all the work myself. Some are stingy, will wait 8000 miles, and use Dino oil. Some won't, this is why I say, its up to you. How long will you keep your truck, is it a lease and you don't care, all these things factor in to your decision. Also, there must be 20 threads on when to change your oil on the site, so you might want to do a search and some reading also but in the end it will boil down to what you feel is best cause everyone will have there opinion on what suits them best. But at the limit, the truck has said its time, so you might as well do that one first, after that, you can decide what you will do.

GrayhemiST 02-23-2013 08:49 PM

Depends on your driving habits and other factors......the shorter your trips, type of traffic you drive in daily, and outside tempatures dictate oil longevity. I listen to the computer, which usually tells me to change every 3700 since i've had it.

GTyankee 02-23-2013 09:00 PM

I believe the 2012 Ram Owners Manual reads 8,000 miles
My 2009 engine is the same as yours, only the manual reads 3,000 miles
I now use synthetic motor oil & change it right around 5,000 miles

BCRAM 02-23-2013 09:50 PM

I have had my truck just approaching 4 months and only 1500 miles on it. I plan to change the factory oil this week and stay with dino oil as the truck will only see about 6,000 miles per year.

Raptor 02-23-2013 09:55 PM

I've always believed that oil is the cheapest thing I can put into my vehicles. I change oil ever 5,000K, or about 3,000 miles American. It only takes a few minutes (I do it myself )

My friend has a heated garage. We get a bunch of beer, fire up the barbeque and have an "Oil off" which means we do all of our collective vehicles.

Makes for a nice Saturday afternoon.

oldhp 02-23-2013 10:03 PM

+1 on Asur. Puts it in a nutshell.

KA1OTE 02-23-2013 11:02 PM

All of your replies make sense, but I suppose I should've mentioned another detail.. when the dealer changed out the factory oil in November, the mileage was about 1500. When my light came on earlier this week, my mileage was 3500.. so I've only driven about 2000 miles since a full oil change. With this info, please tell me that I will get more than 2000 miles per oil change.