DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   New Ram Owner - Sport or Laramie Longhorn? HELP (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=134535)

domesticman 02-24-2013 02:17 PM

New Ram Owner - Sport or Laramie Longhorn? HELP

Hey all,

I'm a new-to-be Ram owner coming this week. I've sold my fully modded Toyota Camry but I miss having a pick-up and that little toys' days are over. Ford's asking too much and their fuel mileage is still garbage despite the marketing BS for the ecoboost gimick.

Anyhow, I'm debating big time between the Sport and the Laramie Longhorn. I've driven the Sport and the Laramie and the air ride had to be a must in the Sport if I went that way simply because driving on the construction sites and when I go hunting, that adjustment in height is really practical.

So I've pretty much upgraded the Sport in all areas aside from the posi and higher axle ratio. It'll have everything that the Laramie Longhorn has except for rear heated seats, chrome grill and the beautiful 2-tone interior. My ticket price is $53,329.19 TAX IN in Canadian dollars. I'm putting $16,000 down bringing my monthly payment to $688.81 over 60 months. Interest cost accounts for $3,917.41 of that over the 5 years. The only difference between the Sport and the Laramie Longhorn is $2,200.

So the question remains to all of you and still myself; may as well jump to the Longhorn? The sales rep at Dodge knows me and it's a "family rate", a damn good one too I'd say.

Does anyone here find that certain upgrades are totally unnecessary? I could remove some upgrades which would bring my payment down but I'd really love to hear the feedback. I'm having an incredibly hard time picking here because both trucks are gorgeous.

My only reservation is maybe the Sport could play my part better since I'm in my mid-20's whereas the Longhorn may fit the role of someone more established? slight older?

domesticman 02-24-2013 02:21 PM

^^ I forgot to mention both trucks would be the 5.7L HEMI, 8-speed.

I'm also hoping that the 8-speed smooth shifting and the new cylinder cut-off feature can really help in fuel economy. Tank is the 101L and I'll be filling on Regular gas.

hemipowerv8 02-24-2013 02:22 PM

I personally prefer the sport and have had a Sport Ram since 2004...the 2013 I have on order is my 4th in a row. I don't like all the chrome on the Laramie or the extra options for me are not necessary so it was an easy decision.
So much you can do aftermarket these days that if you decide you want rear heated seats and a different grill I would bet it's available and many other options. My 2 cents...

RansRAM 02-24-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemipowerv8 (Post 1021646)
I personally prefer the sport and have had a Sport Ram since 2004...the 2013 I have on order is my 4th in a row. I don't like all the chrome on the Laramie or the extra options for me are not necessary so it was an easy decision.
So much you can do aftermarket these days that if you decide you want rear heated seats and a different grill I would bet it's available and many other options. My 2 cents...

:iagree: Love my sport and also don't like all the chrome and the sports come nicely equipped plus as you have stated you can add on what you want. My only regret is the gears, I would have liked the 3:92 posi rear end.

boomer135 02-24-2013 02:30 PM

My honest opinion is do a lot of searching and leg work. Find something well equipped and save yourself thousands

If the right deal happens to be a Larmie or sport let the deal be your decision.

If you cant find the Air Suspension on the desired model. The savings will buy you a better suspension than what Ram currently offers, and still have $ left over.

I would never pay 50k for a non diesel non heavy duty truck.

I didn't want to pay 48k for a 1500 put when i did some searching and got it for 38k i pulled the trigger. I don't like all the chrome on the Larmie, so I went with the cleaner looking sport.

2013 Sport 4x4 CC w/ Nav, leather package, convenience group, remote start security group ,back up camera, anti spin, sport premium group, sport hood, class IV hitch, spray in bedliner. 38k plus Tax tag title, 12k for my trade 7k down =350.31 per month for me

Ford Apostate 02-24-2013 02:32 PM

If you want the luxury of the Longhorn but prefer the styling of the Sport, the Laramie Limited might better suit you if you can wait for them to come out.

domesticman 02-24-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomer135 (Post 1021649)
My honest opinion is do a lot of searching and leg work. Find something well equipped and save yourself 9 grand.

If the right deal happens to be a Larmie or sport let the deal be your decision.

If your save money and cant find the Air Suspension the savings will buy you a better suspension than what Ram currently offers, and still have $ left over.

I would never pay 50k for a non diesel non heavy duty truck.

I didn't want to pay 48k for a 1500 put when i did some searching and got it for 38k i pulled the trigger. I don't like all the chrome on the Larmie, so I went with the cleaner looking sport.

I see what you're saying but nowadays, a non-diesel, non-heavy duty truck runs for $40-50k anyway. I've done a ton of research, looking, etc and I am leaning more towards the Sport which I've disclosed the price on so considering it's $53k tax in for everything including side steps, ram boxes, tonneau cover and all, it's not too shabby.

My real deeper investigating is all of the other micro options and how it's benefited others or not. Thanks for your input as well though, brother.

domesticman 02-24-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford Apostate (Post 1021652)
If you want the luxury of the Longhorn but prefer the styling of the Sport, the Laramie Limited might better suit you if you can wait for them to come out.

Great suggestion there, Ford Apostate.

I think the Sport may tailor to me a bit more in terms of overall looks. That $2,200 difference still brings my monthly payments higher so it's not a breeze in a sense.

Before I secure the deal (deposit already made), I still have the option to alter my upgrades so I'm inclined about what others think about them.

Keep the posts coming!!! :smiley_thumbs_up:

Zixxer 02-24-2013 05:41 PM

I had a Longhorn and traded it for a Sport. I love the Sport so much more and I added a 2" lift and custom leather interior. The interior was only $750.00 and I got to pick any color, style, thread, logo, etc.

kxlexus 02-24-2013 09:10 PM

You just have to decide what you like. I prefer chrome over plastic, but thats me. The Laramie seats are a lot nicer than the seats in a sport.